Track day - opinions

This forum is a means of informing the community on up and coming meets and events

Moderators: Moderators, Event Organisers

Track day - opinions

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:56 pm

I know some of you would relish the opportunity to get your motor out onto the track for some serious driving, Mondello Park have track days throughout the year whereby you can turn up and have some high speed fun in a controlled environment. My main fear is damaging my daily driver, its the other driver you have to watch! I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions, if you've any experince of tracks days, especially in Mondello, let us know. Heres the link to relevant section on mondello.ie

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:06 pm

I have only limited experience of trackdays - mainly while living in the UK (& not in my own car) - though I have done a lot of pro-kart racing - but I would be really interested in getting the FTO Ireland crew together for a track day in mondello.

Needless to say track days are non-competitive - But I would like to get an idea of how my FTO handles on track without the fear of a hairdryer holding,choc-ice eater hiding behind a hoarding on the mainstraight.

I suppose it really depends on the interest levels here on the forum - unless we can tie it in with a Scooby or MX5 club etc. - I have a 1.8RS Spec Roadster with LSD and adjustable coilovers which would be a laugh around Mondello - would be interesting to see if it could post a faster lap time than my FTO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:37 pm

CJ,

If members aren't too keen on getting their much loved FTO's out on track - what about a Karting day in Tynagh - Galway - this could be followed by lunch in Kinvara or Galway City. This would be a pretty inexpensive day - €50 for a GP presuming we can get 10 takers -

I know this has been mooted (& booted) before but if we organised it far enough in advance it could be done - some Fri/Sat/Sun towards end of August perhaps?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:59 pm

Sounds good - this is the track close to my home town - Loughrea. Keep it very near the end of August if you can - I'm off gettin' wed for the next month odd.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:30 am

If we can get a few numbers together, I'm happy to meet up at either locations.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Viper » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:48 am

Imagine that... a town of about 3000 people and two FTO owners on this site! :D
Viper
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:17 pm

If we can get the interest I will book the track for a GP.
Last weekend in August is a bank holiday - probably better to avoid.
What about Saturday 21st or Sunday 22nd?

Please state your preference when replying to the post.
Making up the numbers won't be a problem for me - I can get a lot of mates with Jap performance boxes to turn up - however I would prefer if we could have mostly FTO owners.

Any takers???
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:33 pm

I would be inclined to head down on the Saturday and make a night of it and go back on the Sunday. Come on lads, lets try and get one meet of the ground this summer :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:50 pm

i'd be interested in this, might have a couple of tricks up my sleeve if it's organised a couple of months down the line!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:51 pm

I'D be interested too, But i had a few bad experiences in tynagh so i dont think id be up for karting
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:28 am

Speedyboy wrote:I'D be interested too, But i had a few bad experiences in tynagh so i dont think id be up for karting

Bad experiences - how? A few crashes to many? Its a pretty high speed karting track but they have put a tyre chicane on the main straight and cut off the high speed corner that followed with a v slow speed right hander. Too many guys going off at that corner at top speed in a pro kart - hasn't improved the circuit any IMO but its certainly safer. Its still a better karting track than any I've been at in Ireland and as good as any I've been at in the UK.

Pretty sure that we're a mature enough bunch to avoid a bumper car outing!

I can book this for early September if you guys can confirm/reconfirm your interest - or how does 29th/30th Aug suit?
Last edited by Myfeckin FTO on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:04 pm

Yeah wayyyyy to many crashes they were using slick tyres and there was standing water on some of the turns so every one was spinning off,

It was a bad situation that they should have sorted ,

Maybe im too used to my predictible FTO but its not for me.

Im sure if you got a dry day it would be good craic though
Speedyboy

Postby Daz » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:56 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
I can book this for early September if you guys can confirm/reconfirm your interest - how does 29th/30th Aug suit?

Damit i would love to do this but i'll be in england around then :cry:

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Mustang » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:06 pm

I'd be interested in a meet, Tynagh sounds good. Normally my weekends are reasonably free but this date just doesn't suit me :(
Did the other meet for Galway suggested earlier in the summer ever happen :?: That also sounded like a very good idea. Didn't sign up for that one as I was still in the market for a car at that stage :!:

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Irish FTO meets