Our Charity Cycle

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Our Charity Cycle

Postby TopCat » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Hey guys.

Just to let you know of a little project a few friends of mine and I have been working away on the last few months.

We have decided to try to and raise money for a few charities, selected for different reasons, but all in our opinions, very worthy causes.

The basic idea is that we are doing a number of fun events around Ireland (including a 5-day cycle down the beautiful west coast, which we invite you to join us on), to raise money and awareness for these charities. The finale of fundraising drive will be a 14-day trip to Ghana where we will undertake a 580km cycle. (Please note we are funding the trip to Ghana ourselves, and 100% of personal donations will be going to a central fund and split between the chosen charities).

We will bring you updates along the way, but the main purpose of this message is to announce the launch of our website, http://www.bamboocycle.ie, which we are delighted to say, went live last night!

Although a lot of work has gone into the website, it is still an early version, and there are likely to be some errors/mistakes. So do be gentle, but any feedback/comments, will be very welcome.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, and we hope you can help spread the word. Maybe you know a newspaper that might put in a few lines for us, or a company who will sponsor a prize for the raffle, but even if it’s just as simple as passing this along to a few of your friends, we, and the benefiting charities, would be very grateful.

As well as the website, we have a Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/Bamboocycle) that you can follow, and Facebook profile (http://en-gb.facebook.com/profile.php?i ... 1489917108) that we will update, so we would be delighted if you would add us as your friend.

Lots of fun and excitement to come in the next few months, and we hope you will join us on this journey.

Cheers,

Tom
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: Our Charity Cycle

Postby TopCat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi all, just to bring you an update on this little project and give a big thank you to all those who contributed.

All went pretty much to plan, and we had some amazing experiences. We were blessed with the weather in Ireland for our 5-day trip from Westport to Limerick, and finished with a great night with music and BBQ in Dolan back at the beginning of May. And then to the big trip, spent the first two weeks of June in Ghana and did a bit of cycling around, somewhere in the region of 450-500km in temperatures in excess of 35deg C. Kinda warm, but great craic. Some of the pics here. And a selection..

Anyway, we paid for the trip (holiday) ourselves and just used it as an excuse to raise some money for some charities we had personal reason for supporting. Given the times we are in (I hate using the phrase I'll just shorten to C.E.C!), we had fairly modest ambitions, so are delighted to say we managed to raise over €3,900!
Personally, I was delighted (and dare I say proud) of the response from friends of mine on this site. The contributions were very generous and thoughtful, and mean a lot, so thank you all. It took a lot of effort to do this (more than we appreciated at the outset, and it'll be a long time before I'm ready for the challenge again), but the support has been amazing and made the whole thing worthwhile.

Thank you,

Tomás

(Edit - Pictures Embedded)
Last edited by TopCat on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Well done Tom, great work.

Right click on the picasa images, select properties and copy the link thats displayed.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Thanks CJ, that worked a treat (I was more used to using Photobucket).
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Off Topic