Is my manual GR's gear box fecked?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Is my manual GR's gear box fecked?

Postby blackphoenix626 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Well lads whats the craic. Ill tell ya for the last month theres been a strange noise coming from the gearbox, specifically when I change down through the gears. I couldnt describe the noise other than it being not good. In the last week when I go to take off in 1st there is sometimes a bit of a screech, but that could be a belt I dunno.

I was getting my car tracked today and the fella doing it said to me my gear box is on the way out, hes not a mechanic but messes around with cars and knows a bit. So im very worried atm coz im just getting it fixed for a re test next thursday, last thing to do is sort the omissions, probably a new cat needed, but im a bit skint after getting it ready for the nct, now I think my gear box is done.

Has anyone here had this problem before and do you think it might be just a part that needs fixing instead of replacing the whole gear box. I rang a place in england and they only had one and wanted £670 for it so feck that. I rang camskill and they dont do them, can order one from Mitsubishi but thats £3,500 so yeah.

I know ye cant say for sure what the problem is but sure maybe some one here had a problem like this and it didnt need the whole gear box replaced.

Also the noise is there when idle, but not very loud, when the clutch is engaged the noise disappears.

Thanks to all replies.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Is my manual GR's gear box fecked?

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 pm

I can't say I know what the problem is, but you could buy that manual one for sale up in Belfast from a forum member here and break it for parts if your gearbox is fecked. Sell all the other bits to make your money back. First thing you need to do is diagnose the problem. Mechanic time.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Hey man, yeah im going to the mechanic on monday to fit a rear brake calliper and maybe a new cat, i dunno if i need one until tomorrow. Nct then thursday. I said id ask here in the meantime coz im worried about it.

Who here is selling the box and do you know any details, asking price etc?
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

blackphoenix626 wrote:
Who here is selling the box and do you know any details, asking price etc?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14187
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Gerry is also selling a beautiful GX for circa 1k. Would be worth considering too. It's a manual, but I wouldn't break it personally. It's too nice for that.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

500 is cheap for tonys one if its only the rear bushings thats gone, aldo vrt >:

Come here he said he has spare tappets, sure isnt that a terrible job to do on a GR as in a lot of trouble. Have you any price on that gx?
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Bernard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 pm

The first thing you should do is a diagnostic, there's a link to the process here somewhere (just do a search).
It should give you some idea of what's wrong, hopefully whatever it is won't have gotten too serious over the last month.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am

It's one of the first ones on donedeal. Have a look. It's red with black fly eyes lights. Nct for a year.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sgt_Major » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

blackphoenix626 wrote:500 is cheap for tonys one if its only the rear bushings thats gone, aldo vrt >:

Come here he said he has spare tappets, sure isnt that a terrible job to do on a GR as in a lot of trouble. Have you any price on that gx?

:D :D

GR tappets are a bugger to change if they need it, as they are not adjustable. Mine doesn't need it, I just bought spare parts for possible future use.
Sgt_Major
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby blackphoenix626 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:07 pm

I was just at the mechanic today and he didnt actually look at it but just listened and said that it is on the way out but that it could last a long time yet. I also changed the gear box oil and put in this thick stuff called lucas gear treatment with it, its supposed to help it I dunno im chancing anything at this stage. I only drove it home yet but it will take a few drives before I notice any significant change id imagine. Hope to feck it works.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:12 pm

But there will be no enjoyment driving like that. Keep an eye out for a gear box.
Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm

goz_83 wrote:But there will be no enjoyment driving like that. Keep an eye out for a gear box.

Yeah man I know, its pretty head wrecking at the moment, I cant drive like I want to and the noise when changing down gear is unpleasant. Gerry has a gear box for me but im going to get this nct over me first and then consider replacing it. I had to buy a cat from camskill today another 180 bucks gone, I really need a job!
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I might be looking for a new secretary soon. How do you look in a mini skirt? :lol:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby blackphoenix626 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:17 pm

goz_83 wrote:I might be looking for a new secretary soon. How do you look in a mini skirt? :lol:

Ha if the pay is good ill wear what ever ya want! The box is still noising away so that lucas stuff did no good, definately looks like I will be getting that one off of gerry. Any idea what a mechanic would charge to put it in, not a city mechanic now ha. It would be a all day job id say.
blackphoenix626
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to FTO Technical