Laser Eye Surgery

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:31 pm

TopCat wrote:I doubt it CJ, I'd say the price is proportional to how desperate a person is to get it, and how much they are willing to pay, and obviously the procedure is more worthwhile to someone with a really strong prescription.

I, like Bernard have a really strong prescription (-8.0 and -8.5, yeah, the proverbial bat has nothing on me), and as a result the lens alone for my glasses are about €300 a pop not including the price of frames, or else they would be massively thick. That and the fact that I too am absolutely useless without glasses or contacts means the procedure is worth a lot more to me than someone who has a vision of say -1.25 who can get a pair of glass for €100 and even get by without glasses from time to time. So they know I am likely to shell out more. I seriously doubt there is so much more laser work involved that it actually costs them more to perform. :x

Ditto, I have a -8.5 on both eyes. My contacts cost me €50 for 3 months supply of the 24 hour lenses, means I can leave them in for a month straight without taking them out, they're water content is alot more than normal ones and my tear ducts are suitable for these lenses even though many peoples aren't. But if I could I'd go with the laser too, I've heard of lots of people getting it and are happy with it, life changing experiences and such, obviously no matter what you check there will always be those few who have negative experiences and who condemn the whole thing. But if they were people who had practically blind vision or knew what it was like to not be able to see absolutely anything at both close and far range then they'd probably be more open to it. I would worry abviously about the results, and about whether or not I'd be told during consultation if my eyes are suited or not to it, but if they were, then I'd get it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Wow - you can actually have contacts in for a month without taking them out - evan at night ??? :shock:
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Kace wrote:Wow - you can actually have contacts in for a month without taking them out - evan at night ??? :shock:

Yup, not many people have them, the opticians dont tell you about them cause they're high risk, but if you ask them they'll tell you. They dont like giving them out to people and the trial period is a bit of a time all right, but I have them for the last maybe 5 years now and no problems yet touch wood.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Dragonheart wrote:
Kace wrote:Wow - you can actually have contacts in for a month without taking them out - evan at night ??? :shock:

Yup, not many people have them, the opticians dont tell you about them cause they're high risk, but if you ask them they'll tell you. They dont like giving them out to people and the trial period is a bit of a time all right, but I have them for the last maybe 5 years now and no problems yet touch wood.

Actually optitians have no problems giving out the all day and night lenses. The latest version are better for your eyes than the ones you clean and many of the daily disposables. This is becuase they actually let air through the lense to the surface of your eye. I have them but I always give my eyes a 1 or 2 day break from them every 5 days.

Wrt laser eye surgery - I spoke to a respiratory consultant (dublin team doctor) last week about this while in for an unrelated test - he had his done by a consultant in the Matter and said the most important thing is the after care - he said you get what you pay for and the cheap option is not advisable - he reckoned there is a reason it costs 1500 euro per eye. You might say he was touting business for a mate but I know this guy from my involvement in sport and he wasn't selling anything to me - he was genuinely offering advice.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:03 pm

soc wrote:Actually optitians have no problems giving out the all day and night lenses. The latest version are better for your eyes than the ones you clean and many of the daily disposables. This is becuase they actually let air through the lense to the surface of your eye.

Maybe your one does but my one told me they hate giving them out, so it could be different thoughts for different opticians. The reason behind it is that there's a high risk factor if you don't change them in the required time or leave them in too long, oxygenation can start occurring in the eyes, oxygen gets through the lense but if they are continuously left in then not as much gets in as should do normally. If used properly there's no problem of course.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:14 pm

Dragonheart wrote:
soc wrote:Actually optitians have no problems giving out the all day and night lenses. The latest version are better for your eyes than the ones you clean and many of the daily disposables. This is becuase they actually let air through the lense to the surface of your eye.

Maybe your one does but my one told me they hate giving them out, so it could be different thoughts for different opticians. The reason behind it is that there's a high risk factor if you don't change them in the required time or leave them in too long, oxygenation can start occurring in the eyes, oxygen gets through the lense but if they are continuously left in then not as much gets in as should do normally. If used properly there's no problem of course.

Fair point - like most things I guess - used to excess and it can become harmful -

I'm a fricking nerd anyway so I like wearing my glasses when I'm not doing sport :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:47 pm

soc wrote:...I'm a fricking nerd anyway so I like wearing my glasses when I'm not doing sport :)

Ditto - I have about 5 different pairs of glasses to wear - for all occasions :P

Only wear contacts for sport and holiday beach / swimming. Found a really good cheap place to buy also and have found these great - http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Baldrick » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Kace wrote: Found a really good cheap place to buy also and have found these great - http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/

I can vouch for these. Top quality and half the price of e.g Specsavers. Made by the guy who invented daily disposable lenses.
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby miss-enzo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:48 am

gfalls wrote:
Bernard wrote:I've had a look on some of the companies websites, you can basically discount the "€595 per eye" thing.
It's around €1500 per eye for the full works, not something you'd want to skimp on.

I wouldn't be doing it for a couple of months yet anyway, plenty of time to look around (no pun).

I wonder why they quote "per eye"? Do you think many people just get the one done to see if it works, then go back and get the other one to match :?

well i have almost perfect vision in one eye and about 20% less than perfect vision in the other.... im thinkin of gettin my bad eye done as my glasses only have a perscription lens on the bad side! :D

Im kinda put off it though because ive heard of women whose eyes revert after pregnancy..... not something thats on the cards for me anytime in the near future.... but something to consider also! something to do with the hormones or something!

my health insurance will pay back 25% of the cost of getting it done.... check you policy, you might be entitles to the same!
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well
My other car's an FTO...as well

Postby Bernard » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:00 am

miss-enzo wrote:check you policy, you might be entitles to the same!

No joy, if work hadn't switched to Quinn then maybe... I got a €200 voucher though.
The consultation is free, it's worth getting your questions answered anyway.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby finers » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:54 pm

Ha just saw this thread, going for a free consolation with optical express tomorrow, price per eye about 600+, Vhi pay 15%,20% off with tax medical expesses so doesnt seem too bad, not sure where im going to get it done, just going in to see what there like, Black rock clinic 2000, ask them why that was? said because it was in a hospital, ehh i would think that was a more health hazard for infections and the likes?

hmmm choices choices choices.
will keep posted.
Black 98 GPvR Manual,
finers
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Bernard » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:03 pm

finers wrote:Ha just saw this thread, going for a free consolation with optical express tomorrow, price per eye about 600+,

That's who I went to, I'd say you're in for a surprise cost-wise though...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:35 am

Baldrick wrote:
Kace wrote: Found a really good cheap place to buy also and have found these great - http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/

I can vouch for these. Top quality and half the price of e.g Specsavers. Made by the guy who invented daily disposable lenses.

I get my contacts from www.getlenses.com - always been great service
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm

Bernard, aren't you getting this done this weekend? If so get well soon!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:18 pm

He's getting it done today. Actually, he should be done at this stage.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby gfalls » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:33 pm

TopCat wrote:He's getting it done today. Actually, he should be done at this stage.

I hope he can "touch type" then, or we won't be seeing him on here for a couple of days... :lol:
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:43 pm

gfalls wrote:I hope he can "touch type" then, or we won't be seeing him on here for a couple of days... :lol:

Where's your faith George?
All went well, a little unnerving but the well worth it.
Got it done yesterday and was a little blurry until this morning, sorted now though.

I've a few drops to take this week but that's it, I'd definitely recommend it :D
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gfalls » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:33 pm

Sounds good. What was the final cost of it all, if you don't mind me asking?
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:50 pm

Dirty money TBH, I was expecting around the 3K mark but it wound up costing 4,700.
I had a €200 voucher though and I can claim around 1K back through PRSI (@20%).

What I hadn't realised is that the price is dependant on your prescription.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Bernard wrote:Dirty money TBH, I was expecting around the 3K mark but it wound up costing 4,700.
I had a €200 voucher though and I can claim around 1K back through PRSI (@20%).

What I hadn't realised is that the price is dependant on your prescription.

That's the way the cowboys charge. A 'value' based pricing strategy, i.e. the worse your eyesight the more they charge you. There was a feature covering this topic on the last word a few months back. Basically they reel people in by quoting a low fee in the literature say €600 per eye, Then you go to visit them. That's when the ryanair style extras start to clock up.
"Oh you'd like a bandage for your eye afterwards that'll be another €100",
"Oh that €600 is for minor correction only -you're blind as a bat that cost more", etc.

The reality is that this is complete nonsence -all they are doing is zapping the eye with a laser -so extra correction might take a few minutes (or would seconds be more accurate?) more, but there is no real extra overhead.

It's like a butcher charging more to kill a cow than a pig. His only cost is the bullet, but because he is killing 'more' he charges more.
Or a surgeon charging by the weight of cancerous tissue removed.

There appear to a lot of cowboys out there -I'd by very wary of any clinic adopting that type of pricing strategy.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Good stuff Bernard, another person I've heard of that is more than happy with the final result.
Its ridiculous they charge more though the worse you are, what was you vision before? Mine is -8 in both eyes so it would prob cost me an absolute fortune!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Dragonheart wrote:Good stuff Bernard, another person I've heard of that is more than happy with the final result.
Its ridiculous they charge more though the worse you are, what was you vision before? Mine is -8 in both eyes so it would prob cost me an absolute fortune!

Yup, I agree 100% with yourself & mustang. It's unfortunate but the job's done now, and it's a good'un.
I was -6.75 in both eyes. :D
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:51 pm

glad it worked out fine for you Berno :smt004
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby CJ » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 am

Berno, hows the eyesight now, does it take some time for the change to take effect?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:07 pm

I'd say I'm 85-90% there, it'll take a few weeks as the eyes heal to get to 100%.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Off Topic