The fright of my life...

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

The fright of my life...

Postby johnny » Fri May 11, 2007 5:46 pm

Just had a near death experience this morning....

Was on the way to work on the back roads...and doin my usual stupid spirited driving in the GSR...took a sharp turn way too fast...back kicked out...car spun, hit the bank and flipped right around! Landed upside down in the ditch!

The point of my post is this.....lads - i know a lot of you dont act the eejit on the roads but for those of you like me who think ur invincable and that it cant happen to you - it can! The car is a write off...the roof is caved in about a foot except in the small part that was above my head....someone was looking out for me! I walked away without a mark...im lucky to be here to post this message. I have learned my lesson the hard way...let my loss be your gain!

Am picking up a new motor on monday - toyota levin bzr....i shall be taking it down a notch from now on though thats for sure!

Drive safe lads! U know who u are....
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:28 pm

jesus johnny, glad your ok mate.... Seems I have read a couple of stories like this now in recent times on here. Just goes to show it can happen to anyone out of the blue. It doesn't sound like the experience was wasted on you lad either which is good. Defo these stories make me stop and think. Used to take the back roads a good bit myself from blanch to balbriggan, when your into your route etc you can become complacent to things going wrong. fcuk it. Main thing is your still here to post about it. best of luck with the new car too.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby dave100 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 pm

johnny, i know the feeling. great news that you survived and that no one else was involved. 40mph from now on :wink:
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Sebastian » Fri May 11, 2007 9:00 pm

johnny - sorry to hear that , i'm glad u r FINE!
the acceleration pedal is very tempting sometimes , but we have to control it !
im happy that u are still around :wink:
Sebastian

Postby johnny » Fri May 11, 2007 11:00 pm

cheers lads...as the saying goes...speed is nothing without control...i think il hold off on the evo for a few more years :lol:
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby kevinod » Sat May 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Jeez, sounds like a lucky escape! I've always thought a little fright every now and again is good for you to keep you on the straight and narrow (once you get away with it) but that's taking it a bit too far! :shock:

Glad to hear you're in the one piece after it though! :)
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun May 13, 2007 6:42 pm

Wow Johhny - glad you got out alive!

You're right power is nothing without control and sometimes it's only too easy to lose control!

Somebody was definately looking after you - too many deaths on the Irish roads..Personally I blame lack of proper driving training and bad roads - but that's a different can of worms..

Glad you're ok.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby adrian » Sun May 13, 2007 6:47 pm

I blame lack of proper driving training and bad roads

Not meaning to be smart, but Jonny has admitted he was driving fast and in his words "stupid"... Why would you blame anything else here? I think speed is alot to do with alot of accidents. Many accidents are on the news as "A single car left the road" and "no other vehicle was involved". Irish roads are dangerous, and of poor quality alot of them... but we all need to take a bit of responsibility to keep ourselves and other innocent road users safe. Be careful out there folks...
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 pm

adrian wrote:
I blame lack of proper driving training and bad roads

Not meaning to be smart, but Jonny has admitted he was driving fast and in his words "stupid"... Why would you blame anything else here? I think speed is alot to do with alot of accidents. Many accidents are on the news as "A single car left the road" and "no other vehicle was involved". Irish roads are dangerous, and of poor quality alot of them... but we all need to take a bit of responsibility to keep ourselves and other innocent road users safe. Be careful out there folks...

I totally agree. I'm not trying to say that Jonny doesn't know how to drive or that the road was bad. I was merely making a comment on the system through which Irish drivers are educated.

To put it in a nut shell.. It's plainly wrong that it's possible to fail your driving test - and then drive home.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby johnny » Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 am

i hold my hands up lads...it was 100 percent my fault... had i been driving sensibly it wouldnt have happened. Yes our roads werent designed for racing on so i cant blame them. I would consider myself a good driver..as in skill level for average driving...but not a sensible one...but il be good from now on...promise! :D
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Off Topic