Student with an FTO

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Student with an FTO

Postby springheel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Hows it going lads?

My name is Bryan. I'm a 22 year old student in Dublin.
After spending a lot of time in work falling in love with FTO's (it's easy done isn't it?) I decided to take some of my hard earned cash and treat myself to a 95 GR with 81,000 miles on the clock. Regrettably it was something I rushed into. It had NCT until 2011 and the car's bodywork was in immaculate condition and I just loved the feel and handling of the car so I hurriedly bought it thinking I was getting a deal.

I saw no indication in the engine bay that the timing belt had been changed and the guy selling it claimed not to know as he was selling his brother's car as he himself had emigrated. I recently had friends around the house, one of whom works as a car salesman (so would know a tad more about cars than me) and when he looked at it he reckons the timing belt hadnt been changed. The only thing the guy selling it told me was that it need new brake pads which he gave me and a new CB joint. Other than that he reckoned there was 2,00km done on it since the last service and the car was 100% sound.

Eversince I've had this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that I was had. €1,500 is a trojan amount of money for me especially as I am going into final year in college in a month and I just do not know what to do!! I don't know any mechanic and as I already said I know absolutely nothing about cars. So the car is just sitting parked up as I am too scared to drive it in case anything goes wrong.

Any suggestions as to what to do? Sell it or is it sell-able? Get it completely done over by a mechanic and if so how much do you think this could cost?

I feel so stupid and annoyed with myself - what was supposed to be my pride and joy is now something I am scared to drive! Thanks in advance for any advice lads it is much appreciated! I have scoured this site and love what you do and the comraderie amongst you all. It really is admirable. I will upload pics later when I get a chance!

Thanks again lads!
springheel
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Student with an FTO

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Firstly welcome along.
Secondly, if its just the belt that needs to be changed and a CV joint then it wont cost that much to do. Not enough to consider selling it at least. As you're in Dublin theres plenty of lads around that I'm sure would have a look over it for you and tell you whats good or not. Paul Nolan is a mechanic in Dublin who is used often by fellas up there and knows the FTO inside out according to them, so hes well worth a shout. A belt kit can be got cheap enough from Camskill, and waterpump should be done at the same time, change your oil and filter while you're at it, cost of oil and filter is about €40 and simple job to do yourself. The belts and waterpump is better off being done by someone with a bit of knowhow though, but still wouldnt break the bank.
Thridly, enjoy your FTO, no need to sell for only a small thing not right with it. Get them sorted and you'll fall in love with it all over again.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:47 pm

hi and welcome ,

I never trust anyone when it comes to timing belts unless it's written down on a service book, there for it's recommended that any car you buy to undertake a complete service before you trust her with your safety and others .

That should't scare you , no car is perfect and there is always something to be done or changed ( especially on a 15 year old cad worth 1,5k ) unless the previous owners really keppt her in pristine condition .

I'd start with the easy and relativly cheap bits ( oils , filters , bushes ) and then gather some cash for the belts and plugs .

enjoy

ps: any pics?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:22 pm

:wel first of all and i hope you keep your FTO as their great cars. Im also a student with a 95 GR. What colour is your and is that 81,000 kmph or mph??

When did you buy the car as im wondering if the logbook is in your name yet.
does anyone know if its actually legal to sell a car that isn't yours..... as to be honest anyone could say its their brothers. Sure doesn't dealerships have to put their name on the logbook to sell it on legally?

I also had one or 2 problems from the previous owner of mine that im not going into when I was buying mine.

Get a good service and do the easy things yourself. It'll be cheap enough and parts if you need them are readily available.

Enjoy.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby springheel » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Lads,

First of all thanks very much for the warm welcome. It is genuinely very nice too see a bunch of guys looking out for each other and being so helpful - all brought together by the love of the FTO :D

The car has 81,000 miles on it so it would be due a timing belt change wouldnt it? Could anyone give me a good approximate of how much this will cost including a good service? Any chance I could also get a contact for a reasonably/trustworthy mechanic in Dublin please?

In work now so will upload pics when I get home this evening!
Logbook hasn't arrived yet but I was assured that it had been sent off so I would assume that as soon as it is posted to the Department - the car is legally yours. I have no basis for this assumption by the way! :P

Thanks again lads
springheel
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey there springheel, welcome to the forums.

If you want some pointers or tips on some of the more basic things I'm in Knocklyon and I'll give you a hand with most things. I have a full (almost) tool kit and printed versions of all the manuals which can be a help sometimes. If you want I could take a look at the car with you and familiarise you with the ins and outs? As the guys have said, a service is a must regardless of what they have said. I bought my car for something similar and I've not looked back.

Where are you based?
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Full service would involve the belts, pulleys, and waterpump to start with, at the 100,000km mark. Is it miles or kms yours is? You might also want to change your spark plugs for long life ones, and of course the oils and filters. Thats generally it really. Most expensive bit is the belts, waterpump, and pulleys, but if you get the parts of camskill, then you might be able to get someone to fit them for you cheap enough.
Like I mentioned before, Paul Nolan is the man around Dublin for mechanic work to the FTO. Havent got his number as I'm in Cork but I'm sure someone here has it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 pm

springheel wrote:Eversince I've had this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that I was had. €1,500 is a trojan amount of money for me

Why ? Sounds like you got a great car and if the bodywork is great and it runs well then that's worth it in itself. I would be very surprised if the car hasn't actually had its timing belt changed anyway if it's in otherwise good repair.

Get peace of mind by getting a mechanic to check and then go ahead and replace if in any doubt - no big deal or massive cost involved.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm

springheel wrote:The car has 81,000 miles

If your getting this 81,000 on the digital clock on the speedo.... then its in Km not miles as FTO's were for the domestic market in Japan and just use km.
Looks like you picked up a bargain.

Post some pics as soon as you can :wink:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Return to Introduce yourself