MPH to KMH

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

MPH to KMH

Postby JD » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:57 am

My GR was converted from Kilometers to Miles per hour before I got it. Does anyone know what's involved in changing it back when we change over to KMH later this year. Can it be done as a DIY job :?:
Cheers
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: MPH to KMH

Postby Daz » Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:57 am

JD wrote:My GR was converted from Kilometers to Miles per hour before I got it. Does anyone know what's involved in changing it back when we change over to KMH later this year. Can it be done as a DIY job :?:
Cheers
JD

Most conversions are done with a chip being added at the ecu on the speed sender wire, it would probably just involve the removal of said chip.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby pergau » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:07 pm

Don't the conversions also normally involve bypassing the speed limiter (tyhe chip jobbies) Doing this might also restrict your ability to go faster than 112Mph

Also you may need to replace the dials if you have Mph dials.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Daz » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:22 pm

pergau wrote:Don't the conversions also normally involve bypassing the speed limiter (tyhe chip jobbies) Doing this might also restrict your ability to go faster than 112Mph

Also you may need to replace the dials if you have Mph dials.

Depending on the chip this can be true, not all conversion chips delimit. as reguards the dials my car isn't delimited or converted to mph yet i have stainless steel dials in mine which read in mph but as they are the 180 mph dials they are exactly the same spacing as the 180 klm dials so when i'm doing 62 mph my dials is reading 100 which is 100 klms if you catch my drift. and i checked all this after fitting the dials driving behind a mate in his brand new car with walkie talkies.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby pergau » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:45 pm

I get your drift.

I was going to do the same to mine but when I heard of the change, I decided to wait.

Any idea when it will happen?
pergau

Return to FTO Technical