Funny sound when braking at low speed

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Funny sound when braking at low speed

Postby soc » Thu May 13, 2004 8:47 am

I'm getting a wierd noise when braking - only happens when going ver slowly (i.e. almost stopped) and is most obvious when reversing. Its like a single click followed by a creak - and it seems to be on both sides of car (front only). I had a look at the calipers (cause I recently changed the pads) and everything seems ok. I'm pretty sure the front and/or rear bottom arm bushes need to be changed cause there is a clunking that I can feel through the pedal box - but could this also be the reason I'm hearing this wierd noise when braking??

Just waiting for the rear lower bottom arm bushes to arrive from FunkyP and then it's off to Paul to get the lot (plus new front arb's) fitted.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu May 13, 2004 8:59 am

I have exactly the same problem, AFAIK, this trait is only manifested on Tips. Try copperslipping up your calipers as a last resort, be warned though, it didn't make any difference in my case.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu May 13, 2004 12:06 pm

CJ wrote:I have exactly the same problem, AFAIK, this trait is only manifested on Tips. Try copperslipping up your calipers as a last resort, be warned though, it didn't make any difference in my case.

CJ

Bugger - that's not what I wanted to hear :-) although there was no noise after I initially fitted the pads. Maybe the coperslip has worn off. I'm thinking of fitting some GPX calipers from Rory but depends on cost so I might hold off on it for the time being - still need to get the bushes changed though.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Thu May 13, 2004 12:28 pm

What brand of pads did you fit. CJ have you still got the problem from several months back.

I have a problem when comng to a halt, the brakes grind to a halt. I have put it down to the SH1T factor pads I fitted, also notice the handbrake was bad. Have a set of mintex ready to fit.

I the hanbrake normally crap on the FTO

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu May 13, 2004 1:22 pm

steelroe wrote:What brand of pads did you fit. CJ have you still got the problem from several months back.

Rory, I'm running Pagids at the front and yes I still screech (sp.) to a stop. I felt it might be the rear pads so I c'slipped them up the other evening with no joy. I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with the Mintex, they have a good rep. Did you buy them off the usual suspects or did you manage to get them cheaper elsewhere?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Thu May 13, 2004 7:53 pm

steelroe wrote:

Rory

Yes the handbrake on the FTO's are crap, so not to worry it's not just yours.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby soc » Fri May 14, 2004 1:26 pm

steelroe wrote:What brand of pads did you fit. CJ have you still got the problem from several months back.

I have a problem when comng to a halt, the brakes grind to a halt. I have put it down to the SH1T factor pads I fitted, also notice the handbrake was bad. Have a set of mintex ready to fit.

Rory

I have pagids but I don't think it's anything to do with the pads - I think (hope) it's more related to bushes - the sound I get is a clicking/creaking/clunking that only seems to happen after I've driven the car for a while so I reckon it must be that when the bushes heat up (after seeing some action) they get loose and soggy and hence the noises. Gonna ring Paul today to see if he'll fit the new bushes - just waiting for deliver from FunkyP
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 14, 2004 1:35 pm

shane wrote:I have pagids but I don't think it's anything to do with the pads

I forgot to mention last night but Pagids have a bad name for being noisy pads, mine make a grinding (and possibly a screeching) noise pretty much every time I brake.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri May 14, 2004 2:00 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:I have pagids but I don't think it's anything to do with the pads

I forgot to mention last night but Pagids have a bad name for being noisy pads, mine make a grinding (and possibly a screeching) noise pretty much every time I brake.

CJ

aye I could feel yours grinding but I can actually feel the clunking in the pedal box too. Also if I drop down the window I can hear the noise clear as day.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri May 14, 2004 2:07 pm

shane wrote:aye I could feel yours grinding but I can actually feel the clunking in the pedal box too. Also if I drop down the window I can hear the noise clear as day.

was just on to Paul - he's gonna price up the cambelt so I've to ring on Monday. Am looking froward to getting these bushes fitted.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Barry » Fri May 14, 2004 3:05 pm

At low speeds I get that grinding, shuddering noise too..only when the engine is started from cold.

I put it down to 2 things:

1. On Tips there is an extra strain on the pads from the higher idling speed from the auto - choke when cold

2. The pads just need to warm up a bit before they 'bite' properly

I have heard this sound on other automatics too (Saab) so I think it's a common enough problem :?:
Barry
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Technical