Audi A4

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Audi A4

Postby Dave » Tue May 20, 2008 8:55 am

I'm thinking of changing the GF's car, currently we have an Opel Astra 1.4 5door jobbie, it's an ok car in a sort of bland boring way, absolutely nothing special and purely functional in that it will be our more or less family car. i've now started to look to change over to an Audi A4, say a 2002-2003, 1.9TDi 130bhp, possibly importing through the UK. Couple of quesitons, anyone know or have any experience with these cars, I've driven one recently and it was a pig of an example, I'd ideally also like a nice quattro kitted one with the 18" alloys and all the bells and whistles. I'm also pretty sure the VRT of them will come down after July....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Audi A4

Postby Kace » Tue May 20, 2008 10:37 am

Dave wrote:I'm thinking of changing the GF's car, currently we have an Opel Astra 1.4 5door jobbie, it's an ok car in a sort of bland boring way, absolutely nothing special and purely functional in that it will be our more or less family car. i've now started to look to change over to an Audi A4, say a 2002-2003, 1.9TDi 130bhp, possibly importing through the UK. Couple of quesitons, anyone know or have any experience with these cars, I've driven one recently and it was a pig of an example, I'd ideally also like a nice quattro kitted one with the 18" alloys and all the bells and whistles. I'm also pretty sure the VRT of them will come down after July....

Yes - have experience with most of the above with the exception that ours is 2004 and we didn't manage to get Quattro in the end. Does have the S4 body kit and lowered suspension though - comes on Sport models.

Just do UK country-wide searches on Autotrader or other sources, find your machine, get all details from seller including detailed blow by blow account of the car and any imperfections. You know the rest.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue May 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Dave wrote:A couple of examples of what I'm looking at....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/417271.htm (my favourite at the moment, apart from the horrible mudflaps)

How could this be driveable unless it's airbags? Personally I think the whole point of having an A4 is for understated style - these seem a bit showy for me :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue May 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Am I looking at a wrong link here or something cause I can barely see flaps on the car thats coming up? :?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed May 21, 2008 12:13 am

Dragonheart wrote:Am I looking at a wrong link here or something cause I can barely see flaps on the car thats coming up? :?

The light in the picture makes them difficult to spot - but they're there alright--- big and nasty..
rest of the car looks fab tho..

is that a merc logo on the centercaps?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 pm

agreed with the above comments, that dolphin grey one is a bit "bling" :P and I'd reckon the novelty would wear off quick enough!

Anyone have any experience with the A4 and what to look out for? Gear box, clutch etc?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Would you consider an automatic, I took in a 2001 with 120,000 on it a few years ago, and it felt a lot tighter than a manual with similar mileage, I find the gearboxes in VW/Audis horrible once they get to high miles.
it was 6 speed, and it felt as powerful as the manual verison.
colm_mcm

Postby Dave » Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm

not interested in an auto, i did hear that should stay away from the multi-tronics... the one i drove recently, the gearbox was horrible, really really loose, like stirring a bag of hammers!!

i suppose I can only go out and test drive a few...
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 pm

Don't know if this one I drove was Multitronic or whether a conventional torque convertor auto box was even available on the A4 130 or not, I just know the one I drove was brilliant.

If I were you I'd drive a few high miler TDI's here before you think of going to the UK to buy.
colm_mcm

Postby Dave » Thu May 22, 2008 1:16 pm

agreed, going to probably look at a few over the weekend
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars