automatic gearbox problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

automatic gearbox problem

Postby adrian1977 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:38 am

Hia there im Adrian. I bought my 1st fto 7 month ago with no tax or mot having driven that one I bought a well looked after 1 with low miles just owning my 2nd fto after 2months it has developed a fault on the automatic gearbox. When it happen to begin with I pull up as I would turned my engine off and restarted it again after 5mins. I lost drive and reverse and semi gears, I panicked turned the car off restarted it again there were no lighs on the dash for the gear box it now drives in safety mode 3rd gear clongs into reverse and semi gears dont work. I found out my alternator was over charging so I replaced that . Still dont know about gear box problem, please can someone HELP ME PLEASE
adrian1977
1st gear
1st gear

Re: automatic gearbox problem

Postby goz_83 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Where are you based? Update your profile settings
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian1977 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:40 am

Hi Im based in Wales nr Aberystwyth, I'll try look for my setting on my profile. I a new be sorry.
adrian1977
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:04 am

Problem sounds like it could be an input/output sensor if its in safe mode and no lights displayed. Running a diagnostic may be your best best.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby snowaxe » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi Adrian, i am also in Wales, just a bit north of you in Porthmadog. The first thing to try would be to remove the input and output sensors and give them a good clean. They have been known to collect metal particles on them which affects their sensitivity leading to the safe mode fault. The scary thing with your description is the lack of the flashing "n" telling you that there is a fault. If it is not flashing the neutral symbol then doing a fault diagnosis would be impractical as it is not registering with the ecu. The input sensor is the one that causes most of the faults but it could be either one in the end. The cost is a bit of a factor as camskill want £122 and change for an input sensor. As an off chance, if it has been chipped from kph to mph give the wiring an inspection as there may be a loose connection in there somewhere that could affect it and cause the symptoms you describe. What happens if you disconnect the battery and reset the ECU? Does the same thing still happen?
snowaxe
1st gear
1st gear

Postby adrian1977 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:52 am

Thank I shall try the input/ output sencor
adrian1977
1st gear
1st gear

Postby adrian1977 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:56 am

Nice to meet you. Glad theres another fto owner in Wales .Yes I have try disconnected the battery and still the same problem.
adrian1977
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:53 am

Battery needs to be disconnected a good 15 minutes for ecu reset
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian1977 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Today I changed the input sensor but still no change, tried getting the output sensor it seams almost impossible to get it out, I pulled that hard with my fingers they slipped off cutting some of my finger s to bits. Any easyer way to get it out as I've got to get two out, because I've got a spare fto and on the spare my gearbox works fine.
adrian1977
1st gear
1st gear

Postby oakleaf » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 am

Use WD40 or other penetrant oil and soak it overnight.
Then use a pair of pliers and put a spanner at right angles through the handles and hold and twist should give you enough
to slowly turn the whole thing and lever out.
or a Large spanner just larger than the base of the sensor.
They can be a female dog to get out.
Also as said before the aftermarket speedo delimiters can be badly wired causing the same problems shown

Mike
oakleaf
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical