help FTO just died!!!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

help FTO just died!!!

Postby msmorrissey » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:55 pm

Just Parking the car a few minutes ago and all of a sudden the car went dead! no ignition, no lights. no radio, nothing! Turn the key and not a sound. NO electrics at all. Anyone here able to tell me what has gone wrong and how to solve it. seems like a massive electrical failure.!!! :cry:
msmorrissey
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Speedyboy » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:45 pm

Did you check is the battery Ok? Could be as simple as a flat battery or one of the connections on the top gone loose
If not the battery then the alternator.?

Good luck with finding it
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby daniel » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:08 pm

had the same issue with mine before, starter recon was what was needed..did you try push start, if you can pust start, good chance its the starter motor
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Re: help FTO just died!!!

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:50 am

msmorrissey wrote: seems like a massive electrical failure.!!!

Not necessarily, although I know how you feel! It could be a number of things, alternator, starter, dead battery, dodgy cabling, immobilisor relay stuck, etc. Are you getting any readout on the voltmeter when you engage the ignition? Have you tried jump and/or push starting?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby msmorrissey » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:40 am

problem solved!! During the drive down to Dungarvan on Saturday, must a hit a few pot holes, anyhow as it was dark when the car the car went dead I didn't notice that the positive battery terminal had come loose!!!! Silly. :oops: Will the fact that the battery was disconnected for 24hrs or more have any effedt on the ECU?
msmorrissey
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:47 am

msmorrissey wrote:Will the fact that the battery was disconnected for 24hrs or more have any effedt on the ECU?

It will reset any stored ECU diagnostic codes and clear the INVECS-II memory in the Tip gearbox ECU, nothing to be concerned about really.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical