225 bhp manual Audi TT from the UK

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

225 bhp manual Audi TT from the UK

Postby adrian » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:28 pm

Audi TT Price.

Lads, just looking at maybe going for something like a 225bhp TT from the UK as I am finding it VERY hard to get the right FTO abroad and the 3 month deliver time is to be added too. I could get in a good year 2000 TT coupe, all leather, 6 speed manual, 65K miles, silver, 6 CD changer etc on the road in Ireland for 28,600K. I think this is a saving of about 5K on what I'd get it for here so keeping it for 2 years or so I would not loose much.

Do you think thats good value or have I got the figs wrong about the Irish price? Was talking to the girlfriend about it last night and one of my biggest things against it (apart from initial cash outlay) was not owning an FTO. :cry: ....I'm a bit of a fanatic! :twisted:

Anyway, what you think of that price?

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:41 pm

That price is pretty good, a 00 TT Quattro will go for anywere between €30k - €36k.

Nice enough car the TT, but you're not getting the same value for money that you get with the FTO IMO. Theres a few too many on the road for my personal liking but every man to his own.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:26 pm

yea, know what you mean yea. ParkWest motors have a nice 1998 Silver Merc SLK230 (32,000 miles, black leather, CD etc) for 26,500 at the minute and

http://www.belgardmotors.ie/usedcars/pr ... de=9219249

is a beaut if I could beat em down. Just wondering would the resale be better on the SLK in 3 years time....and I have ALWAYS wanted a convertible. Still would hate not to own an FTO though :cry: . I know you lads are not big fans of the SLK though :oops:

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Kace » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:47 pm

Hope you thinking of buying the SLK for your girlfriend :r :lol:

On the 225 - check your insurance first - I think these things are near impossible to insure here also.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:35 pm

Kace wrote:Hope you thinking of buying the SLK for your girlfriend :r :lol:

LOL ;)

Going from a car worth 6k to a car worth 30k is a big jump, personally, if I was going to spend that sort of money, I would want a serious motor with serious performance, I just don't think the TT falls into that category IMHO.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:28 pm

Emmmm, bit harsh I think :lol: !!! Saw an SLK for sale in Rathgar motors this evening, 1998 230 Kompressor Silver for €24,000. That's about 18,000 plus the FTO.

Just I've had the FTO for sale now for 2 months and only had 2 calls, both of which let me down. They are hard to sell, as will the next one be (OK, I know I've got a GS and that would be harder to sell but still). Then, to get a nice 1998 or 1999 I have to take the risk at a Japan Auction of getting a good one and then having to wait over 3 months for it to arrive...still not knowing whether or not I'll have the FTO sold. This way (should I decide on it) gets the FTO sold in a trade in.

Just feel with nice AMG alloys and lowered the SLK offers a really good looking roadster, with hard top protection for Irish weather and vandals, it's comfortable as I had one in Germany for a while and it's better resale then the FTO...euro for euro. Might cost 24,000 now but in 3 years time I'd get about 16,500 for it I reckon.

Also, been quoted around 1,500 Euro per year insurance so that's not bad.
Dunno, just think it'd be nice to have a hardtop cabrio for a couple of years when I have no commitments/brats :wink: and a bit of cash to spend. Don't think I've owned my last FTO at all.....just might like a change for a while and as most of my driving is done in town or bad roads up home in the country an EVO etc etc would be wasted on me.

Anyone agree or is it still :r

A!!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:55 am

adrian wrote:Anyone agree or is it still :r

Merc make great cars but the SLK has a bit of an image problem in some circles, so yes, it still has that :r element about it. The SLK generally seems to attract women buyers over men which is part of the problem.
I've heard that the 2.0 and 2.3L engines are a bit characterless, the 32 AMG (3.2L V6, 0-60 5.8s) is another story however :)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:50 am

adrian wrote:Anyone agree or is it still :r

A!!

Yea it is a bit :r - and they are pretty slow too especially in A/T guise.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:43 am

Know what you mean but I've seen em with lower kit and AMG wheels and they are sweet. The 1998 silver one I am looking at is 23, 950 but he'll knock a bit off and give me 5000 for my own so all in all it's be my GS plus 17, 950. It's got 72K miles on. Do you not think hardtop convertible would be sweet as a nut?? I saw an SLK this morning with 17''s on it and it looked sweet....I do value what you lads think....but come on someone, agree!!! :wink: :D
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby adrian » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:16 am

"and they are pretty slow too especially in A/T guise."

With fear of you lads laughing I test drove a 1997 SLK 230 Kompressor in Drogheda last night. Silver one, 67K mls and red leather interior. Far from pretty slow I thought, and that roof is special.

So there!! :wink: :wink:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:10 am

adrian wrote:he'll knock a bit off and give me 5000 for my own so all in all it's be my GS plus 17, 950. It's got 72K miles on. Do you not think hardtop convertible would be sweet as a nut?? I saw an SLK this morning with 17''s on it and it looked sweet....I do value what you lads think....but come on someone, agree!!! :wink: :D

€17.5K for a car with 72K miles - not sure about those ecomomics :) And to get it lowered with AMG wheels would probably cost you another €2.5K. For €20K I'd be looking at other motors along the lines of a lotus elise!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:34 am

adrian wrote:Far from pretty slow I thought

Hmm, a typical response from a seasoned GS owner ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43 am

"For €20K I'd be looking at other motors along the lines of a lotus elise! "
Emmm, would do but insurance laughed at me when I asked about one of those. Plus the hard top convertible is a real plus for Ireland, weather and knackers. Plus, there are no elise for sale on any Irish web site at the moment. COuld try and import but then still have the problem of shifting this GS

"Typical Response from a seasoned GS owner" :cry: :cry: :cry:
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:57 am

adrian wrote:"Typical Response from a seasoned GS owner" :cry: :cry: :cry:

NOI ;)
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:39 am

CJ wrote:
adrian wrote:Far from pretty slow I thought

Hmm, a typical response from a seasoned GS owner ;)

Ciaran

The reason it could be slow is that all convertibles are heaver, thats because most the have extra strenthing beams in them under the floor plan as they have lost the rigid structure with the roof gone, otherwise it would fold up.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to Other Cars