Belts question

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Belts question

Postby Mustang » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:40 am

When changing the timing belt on the V6 engine, is it necessary to remove the alternator and power steering belts?
I was going to buy the three belt kit from camskill, fit the a/c and alt belts myself and have a mechanic do the timing belt.
But not much point fitting these belts in advancce if they have to be removed during the insatallation of the timing belt!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Belts question

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:58 am

Mustang wrote:When changing the timing belt on the V6 engine, is it necessary to remove the alternator and power steering belts?
I was going to buy the three belt kit from camskill, fit the a/c and alt belts myself and have a mechanic do the timing belt.
But not much point fitting these belts in advancce if they have to be removed during the insatallation of the timing belt!

Ye guys are mad for getting ye're fingers bruised,cut and greasy - if you're leaving the car in for a timing belt then get the guy to fit the other two belts - It'll cost very little extra and will save you a ton of time.
I'm no mechanic - Got Paul Nolan to stick in the 3 belt kit and tensioner.
Mustang - if you're short of something to do - you can swing by my place and adjust my tappets for me. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:18 pm

MfFTO wrote

Ye guys are mad for getting ye're fingers bruised,cut and greasy

Yep! That's about the size of it. The FTO I like a 'mansize' mechano kit, I take an interest and do (at times) enjoy working on it, when it suits and I have free time. I'd do the work myself more out of interest than to save money on labor. My previous car was a (boring) primera and I could never motivate any interest to do any mechanical work on it, I would always give it to a garage. I'm planning on changing the oil tomorrow (weather permitting) I need to tighten the A/C belt in the short term anyway, it's slipping a bit on these cold mornings -really annoying /embarrassing :oops:

MfFTO
Mustang - if you're short of something to do - you can swing by my place and adjust my tappets for me.

I'd need to take it for a long test drive first to get a feel for the required adjustment. Might take a few days! :wink:

Mustang takes no responsibility for shoddy workmanship, or MfFTO's valves being driven through the cylinder head after adjustment
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:10 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
Ye guys are mad for getting ye're fingers bruised,cut and greasy

Sure isn't that have the fun of owning cars like the FTO - well it was for me anyway:)

I'm no mechanic

me either but I do get a nice sense of satisfcation after doing a job on the car I previously thought beyond me - plus it's nice to be able to do some maintenance yourself..... an you tell I just fitted my Bailey dump valve this morning.... :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:33 pm

shane wrote:can you tell I just fitted my Bailey dump valve this morning.... :)

Sounds interesting, how is it? up to expectations?

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:48 pm

Mustang wrote: ...The FTO is like a 'mansize' mechano kit, I take an interest and do (at times) enjoy working on it..

I have a theory that if you checked with the vast amount of FTO drivers on this forum that you would find they spent an inordinate amount of time with a box of lego/mechano during their childhood - I know I did. This may explain our present fixation with our good looking large scale lego project that is an FTO - its a realisation of a dream that we could never realise with a box of lego as kids.

I also have a theory that we tend to talk a lot more sh1te on a Friday evening :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:41 pm

kevinod wrote:
shane wrote:can you tell I just fitted my Bailey dump valve this morning.... :)

Sounds interesting, how is it? up to expectations?

Kev.

no real difference other than smoother boost - only replaced it cause I got it cheap (40euro) I'm getting the car Revo'd early in the new year which would probably break the OEM one (it's a diaphram dump valve whereas the bailey one is piston and so much stronger).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I also have a theory that we tend to talk a lot more sh1te on a Friday evening :lol:

I do that every day :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:53 pm

shane wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:I also have a theory that we tend to talk a lot more sh1te on a Friday evening :lol:

I do that every day :)

Sat nights for me, although I have some help at that stage... :P

Friday evening is 'anything but work' mode so prob talk more sh-one-te than average alright though!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:39 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote: I also have a theory that we tend to talk a lot more sh1te on a Friday evening :lol:

To be fair to everyone, we talk sh1te most days of the week, in fact I talk more sh1te than most but I don't let rip here too often for fear out s1te-talking MfFTO :P

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:57 pm

Any chance of an answer to the original question :?:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:04 pm

Mustang wrote:Any chance of an answer to the original question :?:

Hmm, the Friday feeling hasn't affected everyone by the looks of things ;)

IIRC you have to remove the aircon and PS belts to make enough room to get at the cambelt on the V6 engined FTOs.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:49 pm

CJ wrote
Hmm, the Friday feeling hasn't affected everyone by the looks of things

Bah humbug!
Thanks for the reply CJ. I might just take MfFTO's advice and get them all done at once by a mechanic.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:19 pm

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote: I also have a theory that we tend to talk a lot more sh1te on a Friday evening :lol:

To be fair to everyone, we talk sh1te most days of the week, in fact I talk more sh1te than most but I don't let rip here too often for fear out s1te-talking MfFTO :P

CJ

Well - As you can see from my avatar CJ - you'll have to go to some lengths to beat me on the st1te talking front. I won't be getting off the pot anytime soon either. :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical