Stepper motor and revs question!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Stepper motor and revs question!

Postby brccrx » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi lads!
Have some questions regarding step motor and warm idle revs.

First thing:

Car wont start when cold if U wont hold the throttle tiny bit open, it will fire up and after 20-30 seconds if U let the pedal go it will idle very low.
So I thought step motor was due to be cleaned!

Ive removed and clean it well thinking the problem solved, but it does exactly same thing!

Second thing:

When car is warmed it idle at 1500 revs, i have no idea what revs it should idle at, what does Yours set at?

It looks like the step motor doesn't operate at all!

Any suggestions and tips much appreciated!

BTW, whats the standard battery specs that GPX use?

Thanks!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Re: Stepper motor and revs question!

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Should idle at 800-900 I think. Put a big battery in her; whatever the tray holds.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:33 pm

when the stepper goes the revs will rise n fall by themselves. have you checked the tension of the throttle cable, or changed the screw in the throttle body?
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby brccrx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 am

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:when the stepper goes the revs will rise n fall by themselves. have you checked the tension of the throttle cable, or changed the screw in the throttle body?

Ive reset the ECU when changing the battery and the stepper motor work a dream now, the revs still high as they stuck at 1100 rpm now but im happy that ive any progress at all :)
Im starting to think there could be a vacuum leak, ive tried both the butterfly stopper screw, the screw on the top of the throttle body that u adjust the idle speed and both no joy.

I didnt try the service mode yet as havent got the time, but i'll, maybe this week and post the results here.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Seb u can adjust the idle by at screw just in the side in the intake next to trottle body
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby brccrx » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Hi Adam! No word that U found me on here :)

What ive done was,
Disconnect the battery when car cold!
Adjust the screw on the top of the throttle body say half turn in only!!! 1/4 turn is about 250rpms on idle (if U problems finding the screw im about i'll do pics and post on here, just say so)
Connect the battery back and complete the ECU reset lad.

This worked for me and i didnt have to use the service mode as i didnt want to bring the laptop to the car :) (lazy i am ha)

However my revs still high on idle as its 1100, suspecting vacuum leak somewhere!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:00 pm

there is 3 pipes on the intake that need to be connected or covered if u put ur finger over them the revs will drop

I cant get to my car at moment and wont until exams over on 20th of may , im going clean the stepper motor which iv done twice already but iv never reseted the ecu , I most do that see will it make a difference my car revs at 800-900 rpm all the time had no choke basically when warms revs fine I just gotta hold the throttle until that happens
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:01 pm

and what do u mean service mode ?
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby brccrx » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:04 pm

V6 Mivec Colt wrote:and what do u mean service mode ?

Kinda limp mode that also called service mode so U dont have to reset the ECU Adam!

Will have more time now so will get a good few things sorted and time to get that other FTO down here!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to FTO Technical