Honda CRX 1995

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Honda CRX 1995

Postby cullen5998 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Have a friend who is swapping his Carisma for one of these.
I think i'll be going with him to check the other car over. Anyone know anything about these as in what bad points to look out for?
Heres the link for the CRX http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1139786
Heres the link for the Carisma http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?p ... 492&cat=41

Seems like a fair enough deal to me as the CRX is taxed until the end of the year.
Proud owner 95 GPX
cullen5998
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Honda CRX 1995

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am

I presume he is getting some cash his way?
I would personally prefer the older model CRX - but I guess coming from a Carisma anything would look better.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:12 am

If it has the transtop roof system make sure it all works and that the roof doesn't leak.
colm_mcm

Postby cullen5998 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:46 am

Yes, i'd prefer the older models too. He was asked the guy for some cash but its taxed for the year which is the same as getting around €445 cash. My friend is just happy to find someone who will swap i think.
Any other things to look out for guys? As far as i know the glass top is perfect and all electrics have been done recently. The engine should be fairly bombproof anyway.
Proud owner 95 GPX
cullen5998
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:12 am

Its a Honda so mechanically it shouldn't give much trouble. As per the FTO you have to keep in mind that its a 15 year old car and check for the usual wearing items - bushes, droplinks, dampers, exhaust, clutch, brake discs/pads and check chassis arms for rust. Really your best bet is to take it to a local garage and get it up on a ramp.

Check to see what maintenance the current owner has done on the above in this regard and if he hasn't done any then your mate can expect some bills shortly - use this as a way of haggling - remember he is getting a 04 car in exchange for a 95 - the Carisma is more likely to be in better condition if the CRX owner has done the bare min on the maintanance of the CRX.
I reckon your mate needs to push for a 1K difference = years tax + €500.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:16 pm

The telegraph wrote:What to watch out for: mainly front suspension problems from careless parking and accident damage, especially with the VTi versions. The compression of the VTi should be carefully checked because these engines rev and a previous owner may have revved the nuts off the one you're about to buy. Check the condition of the brake discs and adjust the price you are willing to pay if they need replacement. Make sure the ABS is functioning correctly on a VTi, because a malfunction is an MoT failure and it could cost you a fortune to put it right. The car is getting a bit old now, so check carefully for rust. If fitted, air-conditioning may have an old CFC refrigerant or have been recharged with a new non-CFC refrigerant and leaked, so make sure it works
colm_mcm

Postby cullen5998 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks lads, this stuff should help him out :)
Proud owner 95 GPX
cullen5998
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:44 pm

Leaks in the removable roof and around the A-pillars. We had one in NZ and that caused us a bit (not much) trouble. Other than that pretty sound.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars