ebay takes forever to open

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

ebay takes forever to open

Postby JD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Anyone noticed e-bay taking forever to open - or is it just me. It used to be fine but now takes about three minutes to open any ebay site and then it only shows the text. It went back to normal yesterday but won't open again for me now.

I have a high spec pc, current antivirus and firewall with 3mb broadband - no problems with any other sites!! It's drivin' me mad :smt068

Any ideas?

JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Clear your cache and cookies my friend - what you describe there isn't a known issue at the moment.
I recieved no reports of such problems between 9.00 -> 5.30 today..

If you're in internet explorer - it's options -> internet options -> Delete Cookies -> OK -> Delete Files -> Tick the box -> OK -> Wait -> OK -> Close Internet Explorer -> Open Internet explorer -> Go to eBay.

Enjoy :-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby JD » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 am

Cheers Maud,
Just did all that, but no luck, its still the same. I'm using IE7 (Beta), and thought it might be that, but installed Firefox and I still can't get ebay to open. No problems with any other sites.
The only other thing I can think of is that I use Windows Live OneCare for virus protection and defender for firewall etc..
Any other ideas?
JD
JD

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 am

That's odd - try disabling your Antivirus & firewall - let me know if the problem persists.

AFAIK there shouldn't be any issues with IE7 and eBay - it definately works with FireFox.

I suspect it's a local phenomenon (as in Local to your PC ;-) )

Mind you on Friday mornings eBay will always be a bit slow as this is maintance day.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 pm

We've been told not to install IE7 at all (IT have blocked the auto-update), it breaks most of our web based stuff (including product web-based mgt). Seems to be a typical M$ effort unfortunately.

Can you try backing off the IE7 update? maybe it has auxillary files that are screwing things up with other apps too?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby JD » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Thanks all,

I'll get rid of IE7, clear out all the internet gook that builds up and reinstall FireFox on its own this evening, and see how I get on.

gfalls wrote:Mixing anti virus programs is never a good thing. They treat each other as potential virus. Causes no end of problems.

LiveOneCare and Defender work together as a single product, one deals with the anti virus and the other is only the firewall, so I think they are OK. but if the above doesnt work I'll take these off and see if that sorts it out.

Cheers
JD
JD

Postby RussMan » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:43 pm

i really doubt its IE7 causing you not to be able to access Ebay... especially if other browsers are having similar issues.
It sounds like a possible DNS issue.
Is this with your home computer, if so who is your ISP?
Or is this problem fixed?

Russ
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby kevinod » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:04 pm

RussMan wrote:i really doubt its IE7 causing you not to be able to access Ebay... especially if other browsers are having similar issues.
It sounds like a possible DNS issue.
Is this with your home computer, if so who is your ISP?
Or is this problem fixed?

Russ

Unfortunately if you install IE7, you don't just get IE7, it comes with a load of other junk, which is where I was coming from.

Ideally if you had a second pc to test it with you could eliminate the pc/connection out of your inquiries.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:24 pm

Do you get the same results from the regional sites e.g. .ie, .co.uk, .com, .fr? To be honest, I find ebay sites to be little on the slow side at the best of times....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:03 am

I've just installed IE7 at home - and eBay is as fast as ever..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby JD » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:26 am

OK,
I cleaned out all the internet files, cookies etc, uninstalled ie7, uninstalled Firefox, ran a virus scan and spyware check, then disabled my anti virus, firewall and antispyware. reinstalled firefox....and voila....no different, every other website I visit works perfectly, but none of the e-bays will open (.ie, .co.uk .come etc.). :smt102

Back to the drawing board. I'll eventally get this sorted, and let you know what is is when I do.

Cheers for all the help.
JD

**** Update - came down this morning, powered up the PC, no problems, e-bay working like a dream on IE7 with everyhting else turned back on. Better get the Christmas shopping in quick!!!! :smt024 :smt111
Thanks again. :smt023
JD

Return to Computers and IT