Strange noise from engine

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Strange noise from engine

Postby NickDJ » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Good afternoon,

I wonder if anyone can help locate what might be causing a very strange noise which has been driving me wild for a few months.

When accelerating I hear a sound which can only be described as the kind of like someone dropping a bottle cap. It a clear 'tinkling' noise which I just cannot locate and hard to hear it when revving the engine whilst stationary. The noise is move evident when going up hill and if you go over a bump you can hear it briefly. It almost sounds like something is lose but I cannot find anything as of yet.

The engine has only done 70k miles and has been driven very carefully. Eurospec replaced the cam belt, tensioner, auxiliary belts, and water pump about 2 years ago. The car drives perfectly, no smoke, no loss of power, so this is really baffling me.

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this strange noise?

Kindest regards,

Nick
94 Mistubishi FTO GPX. 5 Speed Manual. Silver Veilside/Topmix body kit.
NickDJ

Re: Strange noise from engine

Postby goz_83 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:23 am

Hi Nick & welcome to the club.

If you're absolutely sure the noise is coming from the engine bay, you could remove any easy to bolt off parts in the engine bay, where a loose nut, or bold may have lodged. I would be inclined to check the cam belt cover if it happened recently after that, but it could be coming from anywhere.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical