First Time Owner

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

First Time Owner

Postby Waylander » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Im from London originally but now living in West Cork. I have been an admirer of the FTO since I first saw one back in 1995 and have finally gotten round to owning one.

The car in question is a 1995 GPX auto in white however the paint work is customised by a few scrapes and rust spots which I am going to put right this weekend.

My first impressions are that this is going to be a very fun car to own, the acceleration / top speed is pretty good, certain more than enough for our rural roads but the handling is down right awesome.

The mileage on the block is low, just over 60K, but the last owner seems to have been a tad lax with oil changes etc

Other than the rust there are a couple of things that need to be put right... some fool has literally ripped out the original stereo and taken part of the surround with it so that needs some attention.
The tracking and alignment needs to be looked at, being sorted as I type
and she needs a damn good service, oil, plugs and coolant are all being swapped out tomorrow.

Quick question if it's not deemed too rude :P I am only getting around 20 MPG at the moment which seems a little low. I am hoping that the service will correct that somewhat but if not is it a case of the usual culprits like O2 sensors and temperature or is there anything specific that I need to be looking at?
Waylander
1st gear
1st gear

Re: First Time Owner

Postby brccrx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

Welcome!

Want to know is she running fine get is scanned and check afr trough the revs at wot!

No better method to know!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Welcome - I'm sure the full service and plugs will improve your mpg. The rear plugs are difficult to access - good to get a mechanic that knows his FTOs.

brccrx wrote:Welcome!

Want to know is she running fine get is scanned and check afr trough the revs at wot!

Any chance you could correct this wording - I don't have a clue what you're saying here.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 am

Welcome. As mentioned, a good service will help a lot
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Waylander » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am

Thanks for the replies.

Turns out that my mechanic actually has two FTO's of his own that I didn't know about! So hopefully she is in good hands...

Here are a couple of pics, apologies for the crap quality. Didnt want to take them until I had finished going over her with the clay bar last night and by the time I realised it was a little dark

Waylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm

No images showing here,
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 pm

:wel
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby brccrx » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 am

Kace wrote:Welcome - I'm sure the full service and plugs will improve your mpg. The rear plugs are difficult to access - good to get a mechanic that knows his FTOs.

brccrx wrote:Welcome!

Any chance you could correct this wording - I don't have a clue what you're saying here.

Lol, there ya go!

I meant that to plug a data logging device to OBD port and get the data recorded to analyze it looking for faults.
Also a quick run with Air to Fuel Ratio tester hooked up or the dataloger recording lambda read out during low speed cruising as well as high acceleration on Wide Open Throttle.
Hope that does make more sense now! :roll:
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Waylander » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.

Well the service was a good move overall. Had the engine and gearbox oil and filters changed, new coolant and new plugs. I also slapped in a new battery for good measure.

The tracking and new tyres was less of a success. The muppet at the tyre centre managed to set the alignment completely out of whack and on the way home the car developed a lovely vibration at anything over 55mph.

I took her back in the morning and was told that it is just normal behaviour for an FTO....hahahaha. Went down the road to a garage a mate recommended and they had the camber out by nearly 4 degrees and hadnt balanced the front wheels after they fitted the tyres.

Got the tracking and balancing sorted properly and went back to the first crowd who first tried to argue then finally admitted that the guy who did the work is on FAS placement and has only been there a few weeks...

Fitted Whiteline strut braces front and rear when I got home and must say after the bit of work she drives like a completely different car. Really is a lot of fun

As for the fuel consumption I have put 2 full tanks into her since the service as I took her home on the ferry with me and I have averaged out at just under 31 mpg so that is far more like it :)

At the moment I am after new alloys for her and need to replace the broken stereo surround. Do any of you guys know anywhere that sells these as cant find any cars being broken at the moment and all the usual places like fleabay seem surprisingly bereft!
Waylander
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:47 pm

The stereo surrounds are not easy to find i'm afraid. You just have to keep an eye out for one. I sold one a few weeks ago that I had as a spare. Good to hear she is doin alright.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Waylander » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:41 pm

yeah i am even thinking about trying to do a bit of a bodge job with some epoxy...

shame one of the prior owners thought it was worth breaking the surround and covering it with really, really ,super crap carbon fibre film just to put a low ball sony xplod head unit in :cry:
Waylander
1st gear
1st gear

Return to Introduce yourself