MX-5s and RX-7s

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

MX-5s and RX-7s

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:24 am

The missus has been hankering after an MX-5 of late so I couldn't turn down the opportunity to touch base with the Irish MX-5 Owners Club who were meeting up a few miles down the road from me. Nice group of fellas who are as enthusiastic about their 5's as we are about our FTOs. While theres plenty of MX-5 info out there on the web, it was good to speak directly with a group of enthusiastic owners who know their Mazdas inside out.

As well as my FTO, there was a pair of RX-7s in attendance, they were very tastefully modified and certainly looked the part. One of the owners is a dedicated RX-7 mechanic based out in Bray, for the past few years, he's been working exclusively on Rexes and he certainly knew his stuff. He quoted an engine rebuild at €2.6k which sounds reasonable when you consider that theres only a handful of people in the country who can succesfully undertake this task. He reckoned that an unmodified Rex would run without problem for 100,000kms following a rebuild - as long as you stick to the service interval and change the oil every 4k kms. This got me thinking about the RX-7 again, like a lot of people, serviceability issues turned me off them in the past, now that I know that theres a guy out there who can do the work, my mind is turning to the dark side once more! The question now is, how can I afford to keep an FTO, an RX-7 and an MX-5 in insurance, tax and petrol! :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:39 am

I love the RX7.... I just couldn't live with a car that needed so much mechanical care!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:42 am

soc wrote:I just couldn't live with a car that needed so much mechanical care!

According to this mehanic, as long as a rebuild is undertaken properly and the service levels are kept in check, the car will run very reliably, he certainly managed to dispel some RX-7 myths in my mind...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:45 am

Good to know that engine rebuilds are avilable in Eire. I thought all the Irish owners travelled to the UK to have theirs done.
Early to mid '90 RX-7's can be picked at fairly resonable prices in Japan, even factoring in €2600 for a rebuilt you could probably have a decent one on the road without braking the bank. I believe fuel consumption is cruel though. Do they consume oil like a 2-stroke as per the RX-8?

there was a pair of RX-7s in attendance,

Were either of these guys the pair off octane?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 am

Mustang wrote:I believe fuel consumption is cruel though. Do they consume oil like a 2-stroke as per the RX-8?

Yeah, MPG is understandably sh!te alright, I think I would be willing to take the hit though. AKAIK, they do consume oil, aparently, mineral oil is recommended.

there was a pair of RX-7s in attendance,Were either of these guys the pair off octane?

As far as I'm aware, no. I put one of the Octane guys in touch with another (different) fella who owns and works on RX-7s on the side, he was in the process of shipping the car over to the UK to get a turbo problem sorted.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:08 pm

There is also a real enthusiast on Brewery Rd Leopardstown - he has three RX7s in his driveway when I drive by every morning.

Hey CJ - I know you really went to the MX-5 meet to catch up with the hot babes driving them right 8) Surely there couldn't have been a group of fellas together driving these :r :wink:
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:54 am

Kace wrote:Surely there couldn't have been a group of fellas together driving these :r

C'mon, lets not try and alienate our Roadster loving brethren!

Hey CJ - I know you really went to the MX-5 meet to catch up with the hot babes driving them right 8)

You go me, yeah thats the reason ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:22 am

Kace wrote:There is also a real enthusiast on Brewery Rd Leopardstown - he has three RX7s in his driveway when I drive by every morning.

I've seen this guy too - I thought I was dreaming the first time I saw the 3 cars parked up....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:39 pm

So'eh...

Does anybody know what type of MPG the RX7 would give you?
More or less than an FTO?
I know they're 1.3s but they're also wankel and fitted with turbos so I'm guessing that once the foot is down the petrol is gone..
I'm spending WAAAY too much money on petrol these days - and I could be looking to chance my ride once the FTO is pukka again..

Oh yeah - I know I once made a comment about the RX looking like a bit of a hair dressers car when unmodified... I'd like to retract that statement please... I've since sat next to a few of them on the mmmmmh-fifty and they're pretty neat little things...strange engine sound though.. kinda like a Buzz...Not sure what I'd make of that.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Tue May 09, 2006 2:52 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:So'eh...

I know they're 1.3s but they're also wankel and fitted with turbos so I'm guessing that once the foot is down the petrol is gone..
I'm spending WAAAY too much money on petrol these days - and I could be looking to chance my ride once the FTO is pukka again..

Oh yeah - I know I once made a comment about the RX looking like a bit of a hair dressers car when unmodified... I'd like to retract that statement please... I've since sat next to a few of them on the mmmmmh-fifty and they're pretty neat little things...strange engine sound though.. kinda like a Buzz...Not sure what I'd make of that.

If fuel consumption is a concern and you think the FTO is thirsty then the RX7 is NOT the car for you.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue May 09, 2006 2:55 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:So'eh...

You're kidding right ? If you think you're spending too much on petrol with an FTO, you should be steering well clear of the RX7s and moving back towards the Focus C-Max :roll:
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue May 09, 2006 3:03 pm

Ugh ..that's what I feared... I thought they might be gusslers.. dammit ..dammit to hull!

I'm guessing I'll just stick with the initial plan which was to keep the FTO and get a small 125 / 250 CC bikey type thing..

I'm too round for stupid leathers.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Tue May 09, 2006 3:10 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Does anybody know what type of MPG the RX7 would give you?More or less than an FTO?

A lot less than the FTO, expect figures in the low teens.

Muad_dib77 wrote:Oh yeah - I know I once made a comment about the RX looking like a bit of a hair dressers car when unmodified... I'd like to retract that statement please... I've since sat next to a few of them on the mmmmmh-fifty and they're pretty neat little things...strange engine sound though.. kinda like a Buzz...Not sure what I'd make of that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, I think they look mean and wide from the front (in an understated type of way) and the rear light cluster is kinda unique (in the same way that the @rse end of the FTO is that bit different - some like it, some don't). I really like the sound of the twin-rotary engine, once its on song and the second turbo kicks in, the engine note sounds the biz. I've driven one or two in recent times, its certainly the quickest accelerating car I've had the pleasure to drive, the kickback on lift-off is extreme!

Bear in mind that the 3rd gen RX-7 is a high maintanance motor, the trick is to find one thats been looked after and exhibits good compression readings. As long as you're willing to put the effort in, you can have near supercar performance for not a lot of cash. Beware though, if you drive it any way hard in the wet, the car will bite back and chuck you into a hedge sideways, a lot of Rexes are written off in the winter time. In the dry, its a different matter though, the 50/50 weight distribution coupled with an excellent suspension setup (not to mention great brakes) makes it one of the better handling machines on the road today.

Anyway, I've rambled enough and probably given away my next weekend 'project' ( as if you already didn't know, eh? ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Tue May 09, 2006 3:24 pm

soc wrote:
Kace wrote:There is also a real enthusiast on Brewery Rd Leopardstown - he has three RX7s in his driveway when I drive by every morning.

I've seen this guy too - I thought I was dreaming the first time I saw the 3 cars parked up....

Forgot to mention, I was up having a chat with this guy and checking out two of the cars he has, he's the brother of the mechanic I was referring to earlier in the thread, he's an ex-mechanic himself. Nice bloke, him and the bro are mad for rotarys.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Japanese Performance