ipod nano -

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

ipod nano -

Postby soc » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:53 am

Got an ipod nano for xmas, used it around 7 times and now it's just stopped working. I've heard a few stories about the screens and scroll wheels on these being dodgy..... pity apple can't put as much effort into quality as they do marketing!
Last edited by soc on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:02 pm

yeah i heard that they have a tendancy to just fall apart,but a friend of mine has one and uses it all the time and there's not a bother on it!
bad batch maybe :?:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Atleast now you'll get a chance to try out their aftersales service.

Try doing a quick google on Ipod Nano stability..You'll need to filter through a pile of pages of magazine reviews before finding stuff written by "real consumers"..

I Found this on amazon.com:

this iPod is extremely fragile compared to other iPods, particularly the tough-as-nails iPod mini (a drop of a couple of feet onto a linoleum floor took out the screen); and (2) the black version gets scratched very easily, and shows scratches far more than any white iPod I've owned (after a day and before dropping the damn thing, it already looked awful from scratching -- and it was treated with kid gloves).

and this on cnet.com.au:

I have heard more than one case of the ipod nano SNAPPING into two peices. There are alot better quality, storage and durable mp3's out there for less $$$.

You will of course find loads&loads of people telling the world how happy they are with their Ipod. There is a far far higher percentage of these products that work and make people happier human beings than there are units that break down and make people cry.

A collegue of mine has one and he keeps telling me how brilliant it is..he's a bit of a "mac head" though so I don't really take him too seriously...

One thing that really bugs me about the ipod is that they haven't made their signal to noise ratio public, and they rely on a DSP filter for playback..this means that the sound is treated before reaching your ears -

but hey.. some people like chips - others dont..

I hope they do what's right!
Last edited by Muad_dib77 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:31 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Try doing a quick google on Ipod Nano stability..

I did this and found loads of pages where people were complaining about the poor quality.... seems it's a common issue for the nano.

You will of course find loads&loads of people telling the world how happy they are with their Ipod. There is a far far higher percentage of these products that work and make people happier human beings than there are units that break down and make people cry.

Agreed but from what I can see the percentage of ones which break is still waaaaaayyyyyy to high. Reality is that if there's enough people with problems that it becomes common knowledge that a problem(s) exist then that's too many!

A collegue of mine has one and he keeps telling me how brilliant it is..he's a bit of a "mac head" though so I don't really take him too seriously...

yea i know one of these too.... horses for courses really cause I always ear bash my mates about how cool linux is!!

I hope they do what's right!

They better or else I'll be blogging all over the web about how crap they are and I'll be complaining to the job here too cause I bought it as part of our employee purchase discount scheme......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Got a replacement ipod nano yesterday 2 days after I talked with Apple customer service - the took the old one back at the same time with no problems. Amazing customer service which would definitely make me buy from Apple again!!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Nice 1!

It's possible that they're actually listening to all the bad things people are saying about them..

Or maybe they're just not as bad as people make them out to be..

I hope this one lasts..

Oh BTw... My Co-worker has a really cool rubber-silicone type cover for his nano..that'll protect it from scratches and stuff.. Just an idea..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:34 am

Muad_dib77 wrote:Oh BTw... My Co-worker has a really cool rubber-silicone type cover for his nano..that'll protect it from scratches and stuff.. Just an idea..

Yea, I ordered a skin from iskin.com - I'll be better prepared this time....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic