NCT and parking lights

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT and parking lights

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:09 pm

Following my facelift upgrade, I've no parking lights and I can't find a suitable set of halos to use in the foglights, before I go out and buy a cheap set of lights as a temporary measure for the NCT, does anyone have any other ideas?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:23 pm

you could borrow my halos if you wanted but you'd have to wire them up and mount them, i won't need em till next month.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:26 pm

Dave wrote:you could borrow my halos if you wanted but you'd have to wire them up and mount them, i won't need em till next month.

Cheers Dave but I reckon it would be too much hassle for a temp solution, you might end up not getting them back ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:28 pm

ha!!! :lol:

well if you're stuck they're there....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: NCT and parking lights

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:35 pm

CJ wrote:Following my facelift upgrade, I've no parking lights and I can't find a suitable set of halos to use in the foglights, before I go out and buy a cheap set of lights as a temporary measure for the NCT, does anyone have any other ideas?

CJ

CJ
Am I correct in saying that you have two sets of lights in the front bumper.
Indicaters and fogs lights? Both are working I take it?
In which case could you not just disconnect the fog light circuit (which I don't think they would check) and connect up the side light circuit to the fog light bulbs??
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:58 pm

Mustang wrote:Am I correct in saying that you have two sets of lights in the front bumper.

Yes you are.

Mustang wrote:Indicaters and fogs lights? Both are working I take it?

Yes and Yes :)

Mustang wrote:(which I don't think they would check)

Thats the question I suppose, do they actually check the foglights? I notice its not specifically listed on the NCT site:

4.Light
Stop Lamps
Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
Indicators / Tell Tales
Side Lamps
Headlamp Condition
Headlamp Aim
Aux Lamp Condition
Aux Lamp Aim
Reflectors

Anyone care to clear that one up?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:19 pm

CJ wrote:Thats the question I suppose, do they actually check the foglights? I notice its not specifically listed on the NCT site:

CJ

I think not, not on a jap import I'd say. You do not need to have rear fog lights (even though new cars sold here all have), and front fogs are even less of a necessity. I'd say they will just look at the individual light clusters, and make sure each are working correctly.

If you take my approach that leaves you with working parking lights and no fog lights. Much the same position that Keith was in, in this thread, and his passed.

Failing that the only other possible solution that I can think of is to source a dual element bulb (like the kind used for combined rear tail & brake lights). I expect that this would be quite difficult to achieve in practice though....
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:23 pm

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote:Am I correct in saying that you have two sets of lights in the front bumper.

Yes you are.

Mustang wrote:Indicaters and fogs lights? Both are working I take it?

Yes and Yes :)

Mustang wrote:(which I don't think they would check)

Thats the question I suppose, do they actually check the foglights? I notice its not specifically listed on the NCT site:

4.Light
Stop Lamps
Rear Lamps and Registration Plate Lamps
Indicators / Tell Tales
Side Lamps
Headlamp Condition
Headlamp Aim
Aux Lamp Condition
Aux Lamp Aim
Reflectors

Anyone care to clear that one up?

CJ

I couldn't say 100%, but I've watched everything they've done on my Xsara and the FTO (2 tests) and haven't once seen them check the fogs. They certainly don't check the back ones anyway 'cos most of us don't have any and they've passed.

They don't even check the heads (non-dipped beam).
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:43 pm

What if your car doesn't have front fogs... my golf doesn't have them as standard.

And what are parking lights when they're at home (sorry for stupid question).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:50 pm

Right, so it looks like they don't check the foglights. I might just take a chance and wire the parking lights up to the fogs and see how I get on.

soc wrote:And what are parking lights when they're at home (sorry for stupid question).

Parking lights = side lights ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:53 pm

Agree with Mustang on this - wire the fog lights up as parking lights - AFAIK its been done before in the UK with no problems. Front Fogs are not a legal requirement in Ireland.

Otherwise I wonder if it would be legal to wire the dims to come on as parking lights as well as dims or must they be separate lights?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:56 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote: wire the fog lights up as parking lights

As in get rid of the foglights altogether and just use the lamp units to house parking lights?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:03 pm

well the normal facelifts have the parking lights in the main head lamp unit cos they don't have the front fogs fitted as standard.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:08 pm

Dave wrote:cos they don't have the front fogs fitted as standard.

You sure about that Dave? I was always of the opinion that fogs were standard on the FL, what else would they do with the holes, leave 'em blank?!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:09 pm

well Marc's facelift has two bulbs in the dipped beam side of the main headlamp unit, he doesn't have a fog and yep the second hole is blanked off with black mesh.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:17 pm

Dave wrote:he doesn't have a fog and yep the second hole is blanked off with black mesh.

Now that you mention it, maybe fogs were just standard on the GPX / GPvR Aero and an option on all other models...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:46 am

I hooked up the fog lights as parking lights over the weekend, I reckon its not a long term solution as I'm just going to end up blinding other drivers. (I'm alos concenred about the parking light wiring heating up and melting)
One thing I notice is the dash lights are a lot dimmer with the fog lights on, I don't remember if this was always the case, anyone else have an experience of this? The other (aeasthetic) problem is the fogs are a bit yellow for my liking, I know I can get a set of 'white' bulbs but long term, I'll need to be looking out for something else. Worst case scenario, I can leave the fogs connected for the NCT and then reverse the wiring and go without parking lights full stop (not a big loss anyway).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:38 am

CJ wrote:, I can leave the fogs connected for the NCT and then reverse the wiring and go without parking lights full stop (not a big loss anyway).

CJ

That was my suggestion, just swap the lights for the NCT then swap back and live without parking lights. When's it due BTW?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:54 am

Mustang wrote:
CJ wrote:, I can leave the fogs connected for the NCT and then reverse the wiring and go without parking lights full stop (not a big loss anyway).

CJ
When's it due BTW?

Not for another few weeks, plenty of time...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to NCT \ MOT