How important is a FSH?!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

How important is a FSH?!

Postby adrian » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:48 am

Hi lads,

Well, now that I've got the beloved S2000 I am thinking about servicing. It was fully serviced when I got it and the book is stamped the whole way through by Universal Honda IRL for each service. But, you know dealers...they sometimes tend to know fcuk all about, well, "stuff". I called a dealer that I was going to go with for my next services ...just testing them out with a few shoddy questions about gearbox, oil grades etc that I have seen on the owners forums and they knew very little. I think they just service them the same as a Civic or Jazz...even thought it rev's alot higher deserves the best grades of oil for clutch, gearbox, differential and engine.

So, althought the Honda stamps in the book give you a true full service history this is NOT necessarily a good thing. So, if you guys were me and pumped so much hard earned cash into a car (as most of you have done) would you choose the Paul Nolan type route supplying the high graded oils etc yourself or, for selling this type of car in few years is the good old full honda service history going to make a huge difference. You know what people are like about full dealer hist, that's why I'm asking?!

Thanks lads,

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:56 am

FSH stands for a lot when it comes to selling the car onto non-technical buyers. If I where you, I'd get it serviced at a reputable Honda dealership going forward, it will make the difference when it comes to selling on.

Its not the dealers knowledge you should be too worried about, they're not going to be carrying out the work on the car. Try and talk with the mechanics to see how many S2Ks they've worked on in the past.

Assuming you have some warranty left on the car, I would imagine Honda would have to carry out any work to keep it intact?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:27 am

True. Would they look at you funny in a dealer and tell you to p**s off if you took your own products to the service?? Like the right grade of slip differential oil and some 10w30 fully synt oil for the engine??

Just that there are less then 10 S2000’s in Ireland so not many places are servicing them
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:26 pm

I'd definitely stick with FSH - like Ciaran said, it's the mechanics you need to talk to. I'd call into the dealership and go direct to the service department and talk to the guys there. Ask them how many S2000's they've serviced, can you supply the oils etc. You'll get a better idea from talking to them direct.

FSH will stand to you when you come to sell, especially if you end up trading in with a dealer.

The only time I would go the Paul Nolan route is when you have a car that you want to maintain in tip top condition but are not concerned with the resale (i.e. the FTO).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:35 pm

Adrian wrote:Just that there are less then 10 S2000’s in Ireland so not many places are servicing them)

Thought that there would have been more than taht on the road, is it really that low? Nice if it is the case, but maybe not from the perspective of available service outlets.

shane wrote:The only time I would go the Paul Nolan route is when you have a car that you want to maintain in tip top condition but are not concerned with the resale (i.e. the FTO).

Dunno about that, Paul Nolan has been stamping my book for 3 years now and I intend to keep it up as much as I can.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:56 pm

I saw a red one yesterday - very nice looking. They look bigger in the flesh than in pictures.

As for FSH, I don't even have a book :( sure at this stage in the game I'm only going to a garage for something major...... I like doing my own oil changes etc. But I might need a cambelt doing soon.

Any recommendations on where I should get my new Toyos fitted? Need the tracking looked at too (thanks to our crap irish roads).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:19 pm

shane wrote:Any recommendations on where I should get my new Toyos fitted? Need the tracking looked at too (thanks to our crap irish roads).

Any tyre place should do the fitting for you but some of them don't like you bringing your own tyres. ' Would you bring yer own food to a restaurent?' was what one lad said to me one time one time. Still got him to fit the tyres though ;) Most Advance Pitstop outlets have 4-wheel laser alignment machines, its worth having it done IMO, otherwise, get one of the tyre fitters to do an old skool tracking job, should only cost a few quid (while laser alignment costs €60+)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:23 pm

Aye, some can be kinda narky. Sure I'll drop down to Advance at the back of Croke Park in the morning and see if they'll throw them on and do the tracking.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical