GTV

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

GTV

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:54 pm

Any one had any experience of them? i know someone who's thinking of getting one!! spider is also an option!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dave100 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:14 pm

i had one before the fto. i think it was a 95 so a phase 1. It was actually pretty well put together and had a smart interior for not being the leather option. i found the engine a bit dull tho as its only 150 bhp. the rear suspension is troublesome on them. a good service history is essential as is the 65000 ml service as this includes the cambelt and costs abt £500!!
On a good note, chicks really dig them :D
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: GTV

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Dave wrote:Any one had any experience of them? i know someone who's thinking of getting one!! spider is also an option!

No first hand experience Dave. 2 or 3L?
I believe the phase II cars are quite a bit better (late '99 on I think).
The usual alfa issues -wishbones and bushes prone to wear. If 2L TS engine then T belt interval is 36k miles at which time the cam belt, balance belt, three tensioners, and ieally the Variator also should be changed. If you hear a diesel like clatter on start up then the variator needs replacing. Can be an expensive job especially if you go to an alfa stealer.
As with all t spark engines the (crappy) bosch maf has a finite life (that said the family 156 has around 70k on the clock with original maf and no problems yet!) look for erractic idle along with flat spots in the rev range. New maf ranges from around €150 to >€200.
check all electrics, I believe airbag light tends to light up, if it has be sure on the reason why depending on the cause the fix can range from the cheap to the down right expensive.
Alfa parts are expensive. But there are numerous suppliers in the UK who can help ease the financial burden.

Nice car and somewhere on my 'to do' list.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:36 pm

Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:08 pm

cheers lads, my mother is thinking of changing and i suggested one of these, probably a two litre as she wouldn't rag a car that much to appreciate the 3 litre!

do they come in an auto cos any i've looked at have all been manuals!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:13 pm

Quite like the GTV - later models look esp sweet - looked at them several times and there always seemed to be a better option. How bout something like this for a more leftfield option - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cf ... rID=462007
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:19 pm

i was looking at that too but she's not too pushed about the turbo aspect!!
it only has to look good!! that's it!! you know mothers!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:31 pm

Dave wrote:...you know mothers!! :wink:

:oops: How did you know I knew your mother ?

:lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
Dave wrote:...you know mothers!! :wink:

:oops: How did you know I knew your mother ?

:lol:

:D
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Dave wrote:do they come in an auto cos any i've looked at have all been manuals!

Not sure Dave, there may be a selespeed option. If so I'd do my research before buying. The original selespeed in the 156 was supposed to be awful, which I believe was rectified later (I think it was due mainly to the ecu and not the box itself).

Whats the budget?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record you could get an RX8 with auto box (import only, as all the Irish cars are manual). the autos are worth a good bit less..... Not sure what the resale value would be like though. [Note to self must get an RX-8 and get it out of my system]

How about a 7th generation celica (current shape) they are available with 4speed tip box with up and down buttons on the steering wheel -Live the F1 dream!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars