Cat By-Pass

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Cat By-Pass

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:28 pm

Alrighty then!

Have any of you guys or girls / culchies or jackeens decatted your FTO?
If so what decat pipe did you use - did you find much difference in power or exhaust note?

I'm looking to decat mine - my mechanic says he can knock up a decat pipe no problem - but I may go the Camskill route and buy a mongoose or camskill decat pipe and get him to fit it!

Any advice/warnings/culchie jokes?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:40 pm

I believe the GPX exhaust system is indentical to that fitted to the Massey Fergusen 200 series MarkII '95 to '98. You should be able to pick up a good second hand cat by-pass in the buy and sell. 8) Alternatively I beleive Wavin have branched out into high temperature resistant polymers, suitable for exhaust applications, I'm sure CJ can advise :wink:

Any advice/warnings/culchie jokes?

That was an open invite :!: :)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Cat By-Pass

Postby CJ » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:42 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Alrighty then!

Have any of you guys or girls / culchies or jackeens decatted your FTO?
If so what decat pipe did you use - did you find much difference in power or exhaust note?

Yep, I have, power delivery it a bit smoother and the exhaust note sounds a lot better with the pipe in place. I'm using a Mongoose twin exit with accompanying bypass pipe, they're all the same really

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Any advice/warnings/culchie jokes?

Don't stick a bypass pipe on standard box internals or you'll blow the baffles.
I'm all out of culchie jokes atm, check out this site in the meantime: http://www.culchies.home-page.org/

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:53 pm

CJ - Have you found any difference in economy since removing cat?

Is the exhaust note much louder? I don't really want the neighbours phoning the guards about some young lunatic bombing up the road when I do a 30mph drive-by.

But I would still like a better exhaust note - my RSR exhaust sounds fine if a little muted compared to my last cars Janspeed which popped and crackled on the overrun. :twisted:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:10 pm

There is a marked increase in the exhaust note when you touch the accelerator. If you have the air filter replaced you will definitely turn heads in the neighbourhood if you get anywhere near Mivec point.

The sound is excellent though, nice deep rumble with some popping - not quite V8 style but unlike most other cars on the road. You can even set off car alarms when trundling along in underground carparks.

Mongoose + bypass + ITG = 8)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:02 am

Kace wrote:If you have the air filter replaced you will definitely turn heads in the neighbourhood if you get anywhere near Mivec point.

I already have the ITG filter & RSR exhaust - sounds good - but I guess I must be just getting used to the noise - I'll think I'll go with the Mongoose by-pass - those RPW manifolds and downpipes would be a nice addition also.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:20 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:CJ - Have you found any difference in economy since removing cat?

Economy is not something I think about too much, if I get 22mpg on a fill, I'm happy. Kace has said it all as regards de-catting, do it!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical