Mazda RX8 are good value these days...

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Mazda RX8 are good value these days...

Postby adrian » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:37 pm

There are loads of good value ones. Do do like them but the MPG is meant to be awful!

Examples:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/RX-8/RX-8/1139353/
http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/RX-8/RX-8/1164692/
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Are they getting to the age where they'll need an engine rebuild?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:33 pm

kevinod wrote:Are they getting to the age where they'll need an engine rebuild?

The Renesis requires much less maintanence than the 13B TT, rebuilds shouldn 't be a huge consideration with the RX-8. I expect to see a lot more on the road over the next year or two (theres plenty out there as it is), as you say, they're getting very affordable.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:50 pm

I like the RX8's - good looking RWD sports coupe with good access to rear seats. However I would only consider the 231bhp version (The 189bhp would be considerably slower then an FTO GPX Man).

Fuel economy would be one of the bigger issues - I wouldn't expect much more than 20-23mpg at best.

Add a few K though and you're in a Zed. :wink: If rear seats aren't a must I know what I'd be driving (and am driving).

The latest new & improved facelifted RX8 looks the bizz - http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Fift ... 178134.htm
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dcfto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Haha...couldnt take that video seriously....kept thinking, yer man testing the cars must have went to Jeremy Clarkson College or sumtin...
dcfto
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm

dcfto wrote:Haha...couldnt take that video seriously....kept thinking, yer man testing the cars must have went to Jeremy Clarkson College or sumtin...

Tiff Needel is a far better driver than Clarkson (ex TOCA) - I'd respect his opinion on a cars handling and performance - Clarkson (while entertaining) is a donkey in comparison.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:46 pm

Don't get me started on these again - engine rebuilds after 55K miles...
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Aren't you thinking of the 7?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
dcfto wrote:Haha...couldnt take that video seriously....kept thinking, yer man testing the cars must have went to Jeremy Clarkson College or sumtin...

Tiff Needel is a far better driver than Clarkson (ex TOCA) - I'd respect his opinion on a cars handling and performance - Clarkson (while entertaining) is a donkey in comparison.

Yeah, have to agree Tiff is a serious quality driver, incredible car control, and not a bad presenter. (Seems to have a soft spot for the Zed too :) ). Most of the guys on car programs seem to be one or the other.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:26 am

What category would the lad with the beard from the original top gear fall under?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:14 am

Agreed about Tiff, he's had a stint in touring car driving too. He'd hammer any of the topgear presenters around any track in any car. Brilliant driver.
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby optical illusion » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:22 am

Bernard wrote:Aren't you thinking of the 7?

NO!
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 am

I don't understand the big fuss about rebuliding the engingines in the rexes..sure we all know they'll need to be rebuild (well anybody who knows what they are will know anyways) - so is it not a matter of budgeting for it when you go to buy the car?

Or perhaps simply get one that needs a rebuild - get it done - and have relative peace of mind that that part of the car is gonna be alright..

I think that's the route I'd be going down if I was to get a rex.. be it 7 or 8.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby misterbishi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:27 am

adrian wrote:Agreed about Tiff, he's had a stint in touring car driving too. He'd hammer any of the topgear presenters around any track in any car. Brilliant driver.

Tiff is who I associated TG with when I first started watching it and he is definitly a loss to top gear a great touring car driver...wonder if he is the stig? 8)

But you have to hand it to Clarkson he is very entertaining and have you read any of his books?... excellent! :lol:
TDI....Premature Acceleration
misterbishi
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:51 am

optical illusion wrote:

NO!

Did the rotor tips wear (as is the case with the RX7) thereby requiring a rebuild to rectify (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Or did the individual just forget to top up the oil? Any engine will calve if not lubricated.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:I don't understand the big fuss about rebuliding the engingines in the rexes..sure we all know they'll need to be rebuild (well anybody who knows what they are will know anyways) - so is it not a matter of budgeting for it when you go to buy the car?

Or perhaps simply get one that needs a rebuild - get it done - and have relative peace of mind that that part of the car is gonna be alright..

I think that's the route I'd be going down if I was to get a rex.. be it 7 or 8.

For me it's the cost & inconvenience of the rebuild that you don't get in it's competitors that would be a bad mark against it. The RX7 fair enough, it's a real purists car and has the attributes to make it worth while, but the RX8? I haven't had a chance to drive one yet but she'd have to be a lot better than the alternatives to have to go to the hassles of rebuilds.

Tiff Needell & Quentin Wilson were the 2 in Top Gear I remember, along with Vicky B-H. Tiff is undoubtably the best driver of the lot but the current trio are light years ahead at presenting a fun car show.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:44 pm

optical illusion wrote:

NO!

Then where are you getting your info from Laura? If you've come across an RX-8 thats had a rebuild at 55k mls, you can be sure it wasn't looked after. Despite the fact that I'm no longer an RX-7 owner, I'm pretty active in the Irish Rotary community (includes a good mix of enthusiastic 8 owners) and I've yet to come across a Renesis thats required a rebuild.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Japanese Performance