Ignition module failing

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Ignition module failing

Postby TAF » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:58 am

I was wondering if anyone could help me? Basically my ignition module on my car went about a week back, so i got a second hand one and replaced it. at the time i wasn't sure if it was just that so i got a second hand ecu and replaced it with my old one. I started the car up after that. But then i thought i'd replace the new ecu with my old one and see if it worked it did for about ten mins and then it wouldn't start again, therefore i replaced it with the new ecu and it was starting fine again. after travelling for about 40 miles couple hours there was the same problem again the car wouldn't start again (no spark goin through to the coils). When i changed the ignition module i left it floating free because intially water got into the unit as it is situate directly under the radiator cap. Now i don't if that was the problem of leavig the new unit floating free or if there is another cause to the problem (ecu packed in) :cry: Please help as it really winding me up. :(
TAF
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:16 am

Hi Taf

As a rule, older Mitsubishi ECUs have never been known to be terribly reliable and its a known fact that affected units can result in no spark or suffer fueling issues. While this may not be your issue (although it certainly sounds like it), it would be advisable to hook the car up to a MUT-II tester to see what error codes the ECU is throwing out.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TAF » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:40 pm

Cheers mate :) , i'll try that but its hard finding a garage that will have a MUT II testing cable. Any suggestions please. I'm from the west yorkshire area in huddersfield. :!:
TAF
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:11 am

Taf, if you can't find a garage with a MUT-II, then do it yourself!

Check out this useful guide on ftowa.com

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TAF » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:49 pm

cheers mate, appreciated :)
TAF
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical