Cigarette Lighter Wire?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Cigarette Lighter Wire?

Postby illmotion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

When i bought my car it was pretty much ripped apart

so now i don't know which wire to plug into the cigarette lighter to get it working, or maybe there something wrong with the whole thing itself?

if anyone has any information that be very grateful
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Cigarette Lighter Wire?

Postby goz_83 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm

There is an easy way to check. get an led bulb, or something else you can make contact with the wires, which will show you if the wires are the right ones. Turn the key to the "on" position, there is no need to start the engine. Make sure your exterior lights are "off" and doors are closed. Make contact using the wires. under the control console, which are not connected. My guess is you should only have four wires to choose from, unless it is a total mess under there. There will be another set that will only be live when the dash lights are turned on, using the indicator stalk, to turn on your parking/head lights. Usually there is already a bulb under the console where the ciggy lighter would have been connected. Be very careful not to injure yourself if you try this. The least of your worries will be a blown fuse.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby illmotion » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

thanks for your reply! this been the most useful reply i have gotten on any of the FTO Forums lol :D i got a few not connected so will probably take me awhile to find the right one and i think the set that you talking about when it live only is hooked up to my front led strip parkers from the previous owner, and regarding the bulb under the ciggy lighter nothing there unfortunately.

also my map light that in my rear view mirror pretty much does now work and the clips inside that hold the light a destroyed lol so is there any other way i can install some kind of other light or battery powered ones and stick them to the roof? or just keep a small flashlight in my car
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:33 pm

This might help you even more:
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12146&p=101855&hilit=Dials+el#p101855

I have a picture there highlighted with the live and neutral wire of the cig lighter. You can also see the connection for the light.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby StewyD32 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Also about your map light. If you put in the bulb again put copper wire around the clip ends and twist them so it lightens the hold on the bulb in place. The tend to get loose at times. Did that to my old FTO and it worked fine after with no problems
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby illmotion » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 am

haha look like alot of wires wish the photo wasn't so blurry

okay so x2 black,blue,red which turn into small green wire

i'll pop it open and see how i go

regarding the map light i would do that but the clips it self isn't attached to anything inside so not to sure how to go about those, but guess it not to big of a problem (:
illmotion
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:23 pm

If you look at the red arrow it's pointing to the live and neutral wires. The black wire had little White strips on it.
Those are the ones I used to splice.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Return to FTO Technical