Alloy Repair

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Alloy Repair

Postby gino » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:58 pm

HI guys,
Does anyone know the procedure for repairing alloy wheels. I have a set of oz racing 18s on the FTO, but they have a nice bit of kerb damage on them, i guess ill have to sand blast them?, what king of filler is used on alloys, what primer, paint, laquer?. I plan on trying to do the work myself as iv been quoated upwards of 400euro for the job.

Also i want to change the colour of them, to maybe matt black or carbon. The car is steel silver, i think it might look good, any opinions??
gino
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:14 am

Gino,
I can't help you on the specifics. But to referbish my wheels, standard FTO 16"s I was quoted €300. They are not damaged, or kerbed I just thought if the price was right it would be nice to have them looking like new. Anyway the guy told me that the initial condition of the wheels didn't matter, as the procedure was the same regardless. Although that can't be correct, if some serious kerbing needs to filled.
Any for 300 notes I decided it was too rich for me. I would sooner sell the wheels and buy a new set.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Alloy Repair

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:56 am

gino wrote:Also i want to change the colour of them, to maybe matt black or carbon. The car is steel silver, i think it might look good, any opinions??

I like the idea of carbon coloured alloys on a steel silver FTO - though I would particularly like the idea of a chrome rim and carbon coloured spokes on 18's. 8)

BTW - Doing it yourself sounds like a lot of work - particularly when you take into account having to get the tyres off, sandblasting and particularly with kerb damage that needs to be sorted - and thats before you paint and laquer the wheels - and having the wheels off the car means not being able to drive unless your have a spare set - so time off the road becomes an issue - I'd say bite the bullet on this one - get a couple of quotes for the refurb and get it done professionally.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Alloy Repair

Postby soc » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:14 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
BTW - Doing it yourself sounds like a lot of work - particularly when you take into account having to get the tyres off, sandblasting and particularly with kerb damage that needs to be sorted - and thats before you paint and laquer the wheels - and having the wheels off the car means not being able to drive unless your have a spare set - so time off the road becomes an issue - I'd say bite the bullet on this one - get a couple of quotes for the refurb and get it done professionally.

I'm with MFFTO on this one.... I tried refurbing an alloy from a 205 gti (spare wheel) once and it took me a long, long time. This wheel didn't even need any filler - just sanding down and polishing before painting - the sanding took a long, long time and the paint/laquer needs a good while to dry properly.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gino » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:16 pm

Time is one thing i have, im in no hurry doing them. I have the orginal set of 16s so thats no problem. Also have access to sand blasting, spraying equipment, iv sprayed bits of cars before, doors etc., but never an alloy. Was just wondering is it the same filler(isopan), and primer, paint(2pac or cellulose), laquer that is used
gino
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:28 am

gino wrote:Time is one thing i have, im in no hurry doing them. I have the orginal set of 16s so thats no problem. Also have access to sand blasting, spraying equipment, iv sprayed bits of cars before, doors etc., but never an alloy. Was just wondering is it the same filler(isopan), and primer, paint(2pac or cellulose), laquer that is used

Gino - you're way ahead of me - If you've got access to the equipment and the original set of alloys then you're sorted - afraid I can't help with regard to filler etc - the closest I've been to a bodyshop is to drop my car outside :roll:

With access to the gear and a spare set of FTO 16's - you could nearly start a bit of a sideline with FTO alloy reburbs. Just sandblast and laquer the originals and get guys to trade in their FTO 16's against a refurbed set. :idea:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gino » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:22 am

Good idea Myfeckin, might have to start it up, i thought all alloys were painted? But if it was just a matter of blasting and laquering that wouldnt be to bad.
gino
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:27 pm

gino wrote:Good idea Myfeckin, might have to start it up, i thought all alloys were painted? But if it was just a matter of blasting and laquering that wouldnt be to bad.

Hey don't start listening to me on this :roll: - I'm no expert on wheel refurb's - but I'd say that you would also need to paint the alloys - this may be an opportunity for doing something different - a nice black chrome colour on the standard 16's would look good IMHO depending on the colour of your car. Painting the wheels will look a lot better than just sandblasting and laquering even if its just a standard chrome colour.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical