No spark. Any advise?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

No spark. Any advise?

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:17 pm

The car is a colt it had a 1.3 engine in it but now has a 2litre v6 mivec engine in it.

its all wired up it turns over and is getting fuel to the engine i.e fuel pump is wired and working perfect.

So car has air starter and fuel all going but no spark.

Before peolpe mention the leads ill just explain that i dont have 12volts in the coilpacks.

The plugs that plug into the coil packs aint getting power but everything else around the engine is getting 12volts?
If i get 12volts to the coils the car will start .

Anyone any ideas why i am not getting 12volts to the 3 plugs that go into the coilpacks but i am everywhere else

Any help i would apperciate car will finally start once have spark
Thanks
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: No spark. Any advise?

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Is it plugged in? :)

I suppose check the leads and anything related, but someone else with technical knowledge will jump on later and tell you i am sure
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:44 pm

thanks goz.

but Is what pluged in ?
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm

If the plugs connecting to the coils are not getting power, you have to work back from there, making sure everything is connected properly and that nothing is loose. I'm sure a volt meter check will tell you a story. Were they working ok before putting the engine into the colt?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes there were working fine . Drove the car home turned it off and then started striping . I cant see how a sensor would of gone by sitting there i.e crank shaft sensor .
also i went over load of times nothing is disconnected
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm

What fuel tank are you using? if the sensor is reading really low it'll cut off the spark and injector feed.
colm_mcm

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 am

Hi colm . Im using the colt tank it has a walbro 255 pump in it . Im not sure thats it tho because when turn car over it flys out of the fuel rail line i had disconnected to make sure fuel was coming out and there is plus when toke spark plug out it smelt of petrol ?
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Just watch the level indicator on the fuel pump isn't unnaturally down (maybe not far enough down the Colt tank)

I know on the MIVEC Fiesta from a few years back, there was both problems with injectors not opening and no spark. it's the ECU cutting them off if the fuel isn't high enough.

May not be the case here, but no harm in maybe cable tying the float up and testing.
colm_mcm

Postby holio » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:25 pm

Did you sort out all the fuses when you did the engine? Something i over looked in the past.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby steelroe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 am

My bet would be that the IFS (Ignition Fail Sensor) is your problem. If it fails it will cut the spark from the coils. Do a search on here for details. It is located just in front of the thermostat housing and down a bit. bolted down with 2 x 10mm screws, it even has ifs printed on it.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical