Type of Insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

What type of insurance are you on in the FTO ?

Comprehensive
55%
3rd Party Fire and Theft
45%

Total votes : 11

Type of Insurance

Postby Kace » Fri May 20, 2005 10:23 am

What type of insurance are you on in the FTO ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 20, 2005 10:28 am

This the first year I've had FC cover, in hindsight, I just should have stuck with TPF&T, any damage thats been done to my own yoke has been repaired with my own funds - no point in messing up a non-protected NCB (3 years only) :roll:

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Fri May 20, 2005 11:20 am

Fully comp for me, been a while since I looked into it, but there must be some good benefits in there?

Previously I've had companies quoting me more for TPF&T than comprehensive... :?

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri May 20, 2005 11:42 am

Time for my 2 cents worth. Lets face it guys these cars are getting old now. I would not comprehensively insure a '94, '95 FTO. Despite the value you may put on the car (and insure it for!), you need to be objective... an insurance co. will only pay market value -not what you say it's worth. And if you were to use the OMSP, you'd get f**k all for your FTO. Also I reckon it would be very easy to right off an FTO -given the high cost of replacement genuine body panels and parts relative to the market value of the car.
Unless you have a fresh, newish and/or valuable car I think comp cover is a waste.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri May 20, 2005 11:44 am

i've got TPF&T because for the same reason CJ was saying, any damage that i do to my own car and it's my fault i wouldn't claim from my policy and have that hanging over me for five years!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri May 20, 2005 11:49 am

CJ wrote
in hindsight, I just should have stuck with TPF&T, any damage thats been done to my own yoke has been repaired with my own funds - no point in messing up a non-protected NCB (3 years only)

Dave wrote
i've got TPF&T because for the same reason CJ was saying, any damage that i do to my own car and it's my fault i wouldn't claim from my policy and have that hanging over me for five years!

I agree no point having comp cover if you are afraid to use it!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri May 20, 2005 2:18 pm

Comp cover is a waste on a 94-97 FTO - the difference in the premium doesn't make it worth while for me anyway - I'd rather spend the extra grand on mods.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri May 20, 2005 2:36 pm

Does 3rd Party cover windscreens? This is the only thing that I would want cover for because it can happen and could even happen more than once.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri May 20, 2005 2:50 pm

Does 3rd Party cover windscreens?

Depends on the ins co. I have windscreen cover on my 3rd party F&T policy with Allianz. Will likely be changing to 3rd party F&T with Hibernian, they too will offer windscreen cover, for a nominal fee.
Quinn do not offer windscreen cover.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dean » Fri May 20, 2005 3:39 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Comp cover is a waste on a 94-97 FTO - the difference in the premium doesn't make it worth while for me anyway - I'd rather spend the extra grand on mods.

A waste?? The part prices are phenomenal.
Why would you not Fully Comp it?
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dave » Fri May 20, 2005 3:40 pm

reason i don't is because if i'm dumb enough to write my car off, i reckon i deserve not to have it! personal opinion and NOI to anyone who has comp!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri May 20, 2005 3:56 pm

Just on that, and still on topic methinks, have you guys seen large differences in TPF&T to Comprehensive? I've never found there to be more than a hundred or two, and on that basis worth it.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri May 20, 2005 4:04 pm

Dave wrote
reason i don't is because if i'm dumb enough to write my car off, i reckon i deserve not to have it!

Dave that's a very philosophical outlook :!: Hope you have no bad karma coming your way. :wink:

Kev wrote

have you guys seen large differences in TPF&T to Comprehensive?

The last time I sought quotes, (from bestquote.ie) the difference in level of cover was ~€500 or put another way enough to cover a years motor tax.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Fri May 20, 2005 4:08 pm

nope, none coming my way! well at least i hope not!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri May 20, 2005 4:20 pm

Dean wrote

Mustang wrote
Also I reckon it would be very easy to right off an FTO -given the high cost of replacement genuine body panels and parts relative to the market value of the car.

Given a serious smack, most of the FTO's on the road here would be immediate insurance write offs, exactly because of the high price of parts and panels through official channels.
For instance, despite it's condition before the crash, I reckon if you wrote off a '95 FTO, you'd be lucky to €5k off the insurance co.
My recent quotes were €2200 3rd party €2700 comp.
In this scenario an extra €500 for comp, and I'd be paying over half the market value on insurance. Plus it would take 4 to 5 years to shake off the loading effects on subsequent premiums in the event that I claim.
Each to there own, but I do not think comp cover makes economical sense for older cars.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri May 20, 2005 5:00 pm

Dean wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:Comp cover is a waste on a 94-97 FTO - the difference in the premium doesn't make it worth while for me anyway - I'd rather spend the extra grand on mods.

You've answered your own question really - part prices are phenomenal and FTO's open market values are so poor that if you had even a small prang and it cost 3-4K to fix the likelyhood is the insurance company would want to write off the car and pay you 3-4K.

I have had fully comp on every other car I have owned but not the FTO - the difference in price does not make it feasible for me. Plus in 15 years of driving I've not scratched any car (touch wood) so I've done the maths and worked out that it makes more sense for me to have TPF&T.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 20, 2005 6:17 pm

kevinod wrote:Just on that, and still on topic methinks, have you guys seen large differences in TPF&T to Comprehensive? I've never found there to be more than a hundred or two, and on that basis worth it

That was my opinion when I renewed this year, TPFT was €799 and FC was €1004. Thats a difference of €17 a month, not a whole lot to worry about (considering I'm paying monthly instalments). Than again, that €17 would pay for a weeks worth of petrol, go figure.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon May 23, 2005 9:18 am

CJ wrote
that €17 would pay for a weeks worth of petrol,

O/T I wish! I was regularly using €50 to €55 a week
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance