Failed today - as expected

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Failed today - as expected

Postby Kace » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 pm

So tripped up to NCT for the first time in more than 2 years, expecting to fail on front anti-roll bar bushes and maybe a small hole in the flexible exhaust section.

Came out without any failure on these two, nor on the dreaded emissions.

Failures on :
Split steering rack gaiter
Corrosion on a brake line
Red indicators and Reverse Lights (due to crappy tint film)
Front dip bulb - seems to have developed a temperamental fault

Not too bad really. Dropping up to Paul this week for a service and to get decat re-installed (seeing as though I have already passed the emissions part of the test).
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Failed today - as expected

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 pm

so overall a good result, will be going to Paul for a service myself.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:03 am

how much it it for an nct test? would it not have been better to have a look about it b4 and save goin for a 2nd test. funny what you thought was bad didnt show up on the test
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:06 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:how much it it for an nct test? would it not have been better to have a look about it b4 and save goin for a 2nd test. funny what you thought was bad didnt show up on the test

€55 for test and €28 for retest within 28 days. If it's a visual inspection, not requiring the use of equipment, there is no charge for retest.

My personal approach to the NCT is that it's mostly a load of sh1te. I keep my car in the best condition possible and if I know something should be done for the NCT, I get it done. The NCT usually shows something up though on 10 year+ cars.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:how much it it for an nct test? would it not have been better to have a look about it b4 and save goin for a 2nd test. funny what you thought was bad didnt show up on the test

I have no ramp so not easy to have a good look about underneath. I would also probably have focused on fixing the front suspension and the exhaust, neither of which were actually a problem. I knew they would fail me on something so didn't bother with the tinted clusters etc. and decided to see if they would fail the car on these.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Collected from Paul today and passed this evening ! Now some tax, install of the decat and my new ITG and I'm sorted for the summer !!

Hey Goz - how much do you think Atlas would charge to install the decat? Obviously a very quick job.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 am

I'd harbour a guess at around 20 yoyos.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 am

Yeah - that's what I would expect. Some local guy charged me €40 to install the cat once :shock: Needless to say I expressed my dissatisfaction and never darkened his door again.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 pm

goz_83 wrote:I'd harbour a guess at around 20 yoyos.

Dropped into the guys and the manager told me that this job is normally 50-60 bills. When I questioned it he said that they won't even put anything on the ramp for less than 40. Exit stage left.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:45 am

Kace wrote:
goz_83 wrote:I'd harbour a guess at around 20 yoyos.

Dropped into the guys and the manager told me that this job is normally 50-60 bills. When I questioned it he said that they won't even put anything on the ramp for less than 40. Exit stage left.

It's a franchise thought, isn't it. As a general rule, I avoid chain and franchise garages, but I dropped into Atlas one day for something simple and found that a lad I knew worked there and I was looked after. I got so much done to the FTO since then, that I often leave without being charged for little jobs. I use the one in Baldoyle.

It's a rotten attitude to have if the guy really sticks by his €40 ramp rule. So, how does he go about the "free health check" without using a ramp? I would have walked out too, but not before squeezing out a rasper to leave behind. :lol:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:27 am

This popped into my mind today and made me think of how easy it is to get ripped off. I was charged only €50 to have my new front discs and pads fit a couple of weeks ago. I reckon it's fair to say that there is a considerable amount more involved in doing this, because I have done both jobs myself before. The cat took me a few minutes and a set of discs and pads took a couple of hours.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT