Laptop 3G or GPRS data connection via mobile phone

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

Laptop 3G or GPRS data connection via mobile phone

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi all,

Quick question. A new laptop for my Dad, I need to set him up with internet access on the go. He doesn’t need it enough to merit the 3 Mobile or O2 datacard and so I am just going to get him to upgrade his phone to a basic Nokia 3G with a datacable. Question is, how do I set up a GPRS or 3G internet connection for him via his mobile phone and data cable… is this possible or do I just add a new dialup connection with the 1850 150150 eircom dialup number present and the phone will then dial the data number?

Thanks a mil,

Adrian
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Bernard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:28 pm

I think when you have installed PCSuite on the pc the option to use the phone as a modem will appear.

You'd want a data add on though, otherwise it'd be very costly...

You can get pay as you go 3G modems though.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:28 pm

When you add 3G funtionality to a handset, you connect directly to the providers network as opposed to dialing an ISP. Some form of client software will be required as an interface between the pc, datacable/bluetooth and the phone. I believe you can use the O2 broadband app thats bundled with the 3G modems for this purpose.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RussMan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Setup a bluetooth connection to the Phone and use dial up networking and dial *99# that will initiate an internet connection via the phone.
Easy peezy :) Should mention that you won't get full broadband speeds but its quite useable.....
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby adrian » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:14 pm

Cheers all. RussMan, are they vodafone settings? I am guessing you need username/password and access points etc.

So CJ, no dialling ISP then it's all GPRS type data then? He's getting a 3G phone this week and a data cable so it should be a handy enough setup I think.

Would it work in Northern Ireland ya think once set up?
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:01 pm

adrian wrote:Would it work in Northern Ireland ya think once set up?

Yes - note that 3G data roaming can be expensive, both O2 and Vodafone have dedicated staff to deal with 3G model 'bill shock' at a corporate level. Check the tarrifs before you try.

You don't dial an ISP with 3G / GPRS, its more of a case of using the mobile providers network for internet access.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Computers and IT