Mazda RX7

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Mazda RX7

Postby adrian » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:11 pm

Lads,

Looking at the RX7 online...Friday browsing and all that. Did a VRT check.... a 1994 RX7 Turbo will only cost 1700 euro VRT!! On the road here for about 15k.
How much you think you could sell that for if you took it in??

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby kevinod » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:50 pm

They take the RX7 as a 2.6 for tax purposes, don't they? So they're OMSP is ~€5700. They usually under value the OMSP, but talking about 10k+ undervaluing is a bit steep.

Autotrader, Cbg and Nicemove.ie don't show any matches, but looking at Autotrader.co.uk it doesn't look like 15k is a great deal, there's a 94 turbo on page 2 for 8K stg:

http://tinyurl.com/cabed

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:36 pm

Kev wrote
They take the RX7 as a 2.6 for tax purposes, don't they?

For the purpose of motor tax (vehicle license) yes I believe this is the case (or at least was the case). For the purpose of calculating VRT they appear to be classing is as a 1.8, as per the RX8.Perhaps the government have revised the classifaction to 1.8 for both VRT & motor tax?
Otherwise it would seem strange to use two different engine capacities to determine two different taxes :?
Anyway for VRT you are only looking at the difference between the 25% and 30% bands not big money when the OMSP is so low.

RX-7. Nice car, and I'd like to own one, but I'd be put off by the fuel consumption, and more so the the availability of service outlets.
It's hard enough to get a grease monkey to undertake any serious work on an FTO, and that's with a 4 stroke -suck, squeeze, bang & blow engine like the one fitted to every other car on the road. Try telling them you have a rotary wankel engine that needs servicing and wait for the puzzled look :? Then theres the major engine rebuild required to keep them going $$$$$
Shame really as it is a sweet car. I always thought they were a bit overpriced....this thread spurred me on to investigate and sure enough yes they are -big time! Looks like you can get one from Japan very reasonable :idea: That said I would not like to be trying to sell one here. They have big asking prices, but do they make this sort of money? I'd say the potential marlet is quite limited.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dave100 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:32 pm

Iv always liked RX7s but the main prob, as mustang has pointed out, is that they CAN go pop even if well looked after. If you are buying one that hasnt had an engine and turbo overhaul then you gotta budget for this and it will cost approx £3K :shock:

A compression test is a must before buying these cars, as they loose performance slowly before finally going bang.
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to Japanese Performance