Alarm

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Alarm

Postby Superwofy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi,

Was the FTO ever offered with a factory fitted alarm system? I currently have a bodge job chinese central locking box installed in my car. I've seen the factory central locking system and I wonder if there ever was a version that can output to a siren and have sensor inputs.

If not, can someone recommend a proper aftermarket kit? I've installed plenty of no name alarms and the general consensus is that they are sh*t.
Last edited by Superwofy on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Alarm

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:22 am

Unless you spend decent money....this is what you need.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/COBRA-G193-CAR-A ... 27e2d18887
Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Superwofy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:25 am

goz_83 wrote:Unless you spend decent money....this is what you need.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GENUINE-MITSUBIS ... 1172623052

Oh wow. I just now realized why you suggested that.

The FTO has no immobilizer. I opened the key and to my surprise found no chip. Damn, that's a bit of a bummer. I suppose a thatcham 2 immobilisers which cuts off the starter(I'd be afraid to cut off injectors/fuel pump in case it activates while driving) in several places would do.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:44 am

Sorry, I had put up the wrong link. I corrected the link, which now shows the full system. The first link was just for replacement fobs. Here is new link again.

You can also get trackers that cost around €100 which have quite a few features, inluding geo fencing and remote engine cut off, all controlled by text message commands.

Clifford alarms will cost around €5-600 fitted.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Superwofy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:58 am

goz_83 wrote:Sorry, I had put up the wrong link. I corrected the link, which now shows the full system. The first link was just for replacement fobs. Here is new link again.

You can also get trackers that cost around €100 which have quite a few features, inluding geo fencing and remote engine cut off, all controlled by text message commands.

Thanks for that. I'll be going with either a Toad Sterling One or the Cobra you suggested.

With regards to the immobilisers... I'm slightly concerned about it cutting out injectors/fuel pump while driving (in the event of a malfunction, of course). Any thoughts on this? Disengaging the starter wire (in more than one place, preferably), I'm all for. But what if you were to loose power-steering during a fast turn?
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:58 am

Superwofy wrote:
goz_83 wrote:Sorry, I had put up the wrong link. I corrected the link, which now shows the full system. The first link was just for replacement fobs. Here is new link again.

Thanks for that. I'll be going with either a Toad Sterling One or the Cobra you suggested.

With regards to the immobilisers... I'm slightly concerned about it cutting out injectors/fuel pump while driving (in the event of a malfunction, of course). Any thoughts on this? Disengaging the starter wire (in more than one place, preferably), I'm all for. But what if you were to loose power-steering during a fast turn?

Properly installed, it would not be a concern of mine. I would feel much more comfortable with a functional immobiliser. The fto is a hot target, considering their rarity, quite a few have been stolen, or had attempts.

And if you're talking about manually disengaging the start wire....that's all well and good until you don't bother to flick the switch anymore, or forget to. It's habit to lock the car on exit, but reaching under dash for a well hidden kill switch can be a pain.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gazmcg89 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:22 pm

A kill switch on the starter circuit is useless if they hotwire it and get ignition lights all they have to do is push and its away
gazmcg89
Octane king
Octane king

Return to FTO Technical