New Penalty Points for not having the NCT

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

New Penalty Points for not having the NCT

Postby Sebastian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:44 am

''New penalty point offences due
Five new penalty point offences are being introduced from next month.

The new measures have been given the green light by Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey.

From the May Bank Holiday weekend, motorists will be faced with the more stringent penalty point system, according to today's Irish Independent.

Three of the new offences carry a sanction of five points, including failing to have an NCT up to date, an offence for which there is currently a fine of €1,500.

Vehicles of four years and older must undergo an NCT test every two years.

Driving a dangerously defective vehicle or driving without a certificate of road worthiness will also incur five penalty points.

There will be a three-point penalty for driving a vehicle without fixing a fault uncovered at the NCT or for drivers of trucks that strike an overhead bridge.

The five new categories will bring to 42 the total number of penalty point offences under the system, which was introduced under the Road Traffic Act in 2002.

Over 750,000 notices have been issued to motorists under the legislation.''

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0413/roads.html
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: New Penalty Points for not having the NCT

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 am

1500 for not having nct at the moment?? I've never once been asked about it whenever mine was ran out, when I got the car first it was 3 months before I got it and I was stopped 2 or 3 times in that period, and the last time it was out for a couple of months and I was stopped again a couple of times but only worried about tax and insurance. Is this going to be like the exhaust thing and the whole vrt shambles, that noone really knows whats going on?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 pm

5 points for no NCT is a bit heavy-handed IMO.
colm_mcm

Postby soc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Dragonheart wrote:1500 for not having nct at the moment?? I've never once been asked about it whenever mine was ran out, when I got the car first it was 3 months before I got it and I was stopped 2 or 3 times in that period, and the last time it was out for a couple of months and I was stopped again a couple of times but only worried about tax and insurance. Is this going to be like the exhaust thing and the whole vrt shambles, that noone really knows whats going on?

I don't have mine displayed but have the cert in the car - I've been asked at every checkpoint i've encountered in the past 4 months (3 in total).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm

colm_mcm wrote:5 points for no NCT is a bit heavy-handed IMO.

I disagree. I think it is a lot heavy handed. FFS. This is effectively an administrative thing. The lack of a cert does not necessarily make the car unroadworthy. Given that the NCTS are late enough in sending out reminders ,booking notifications, combined with the 6 week waiting list (the last time I was looking for an appointment anyway), and their inability to cope with more than 6 weeks of bookings at a time. It is very probable that even the most law abiding citizen with the best intentions could find themselves in trouble. Sledge hammer nut etc.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:30 pm

They dont send out reminders anymore, I didnt know mine was up as I always thought they sent a reminder out, but when I said it to them they told me the responsibility is now on the car owner.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 pm

As you all know from my rantings previously, I have avoided paying the NCT ripoff for 4 years. I will now be booking in today. Given the whole fiasco with my car insurance this year I CANNOT risk a 5 POINT!!!!! penalty for not having an NCT. The Insurers would be laughing themselves silly as they updated my premium. pain in the rocks and I'll need to put the cat back into it. ah well... should pass with the cat in. :evil:
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Kace » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:53 pm

I'm all for it - bring on the points and the fine.

I have had the FTO through 4 NCTs and have maintained a good standard of repair on the car and have upgraded many parts, sometimes in order to meet this requirement.

It's unfair (especially on those who go through the process) that one law applies to some and another to others - this will finally put the clampers on this IMHO.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:04 pm

I have also maintained an excellent standard of repair and maintenance on my car without having to fork over money to the NCTS rip off who fail cars to meet financial targets (proven).
Ah well. I'll play ball. I still maintain 5 penalty points is totally excessive.

anyone know where I can get new asbestos? gaskets for my CAT / CAT replacement connections on the FTO? camskill?
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:37 pm

mcgon1979 wrote:camskill?

Yep!
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:17 pm

I guess this thread could be moved to the NCT forum not the "off topic " one? I'm sure many people will look for it over the next few days. The NCT website is down all day. www.ncts.ie no online bookings. It obviously crashed with 10000s of people trying to book a test. I think many people will be forced to buy a new (second hand) car. My girlfriends punto for example has broken brackets on both headlamps. They are alligned and ok, but broken none the less. replacing two headlight modules will cost a ton for her next NCT. Cheaper to buy a 500euro car thats NCT'd rather than pour 500 into her punto that will need tracking and tyres too possibly. nice. :)
I'm hoping my FTO will be fine once that cat goes back in. Tracking is perfect, tyres new, new brakes all around, new springs/shocks, spotless engine bay, aligned headlights etc etc. It's not the money its just the hassle of it all. getting the de-cat out and back in. spose it has to be done. 5 penalty points.... no chance . :smt007
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 pm

So what about fellas who have the car booked in but no test done yet?
Like when (if) I come back from NZ my car if left here will have no NCT, and I'm hardly going to get it done while away, so if I'm driving for a week or 2 and get pulled do I get points?
I think 5 points is a joke. I have a hatred for people driving non Irish cars (I understand hatred is a strong word but its no more than what I think) that have no tax, insurance, or NCT, are they going to get pulled?? If they do are points going to make a difference?? No, course they're not, cause they have no insurance, they dont have Irish licences, yet again its the Irish and honest non nationals who get fleeced and rode yet again.
Well done government, you've made another excuse for people to hate and ridicule you!!!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Dragonheart wrote:They dont send out reminders anymore, I didnt know mine was up as I always thought they sent a reminder out, but when I said it to them they told me the responsibility is now on the car owner.

I got 2 reminders in december for 2 of my cars and i got anoother one a few days ago again.
So they are still sending them.

5 points it's mad tho .
I bet by now the waiting period to get your car tested it's over 2 months

Edit : i just booked mine 3 weeks from now ( the only position available that week)
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Maybe they send them out for dublin cars or something but in cork I was told that they dont anyway, that if you miss it or dont have a disc on your car, not getting a reminder isnt an excuse anymore, its up to you to get it done in time.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gt94 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Dragonheart wrote: They dont have Irish licences, yet again its the Irish and honest non nationals who get fleeced and rode yet again.

Not trying to change the topic but i work with a lot of non irish nationals very nice people to work with and the most are driving nice clean nct`d cars but there is a select few that know the system to well and all its flaws.I know one lad has been stopped for speeding at least 3 times and has got on the spot fines but no penalty points due to having a slovakian licence and continues to speed along happily and has no problem paying fines. Why not get points like the rest of us just boils my blood the goverment should get off there ar$e and get a system in place for this kind of thing if you live in the country you should abide by its laws like everyone else.I know since its introduction the points system has reduced speeding on our roads for the long run long may it last.
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:29 pm

gt94 wrote: Why not get points like the rest of us

If you knew a way to not get penalty points, I'm sure you'd use it. I don't condone someone like that blatantly having no respect for other road users, but I don't begrudge him for avoiding the points.
colm_mcm

Postby Sebastian » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 pm

gt94 wrote: Why not get points like the rest of us just boils my blood the goverment should get off there ar$e and get a system in place for this kind of thing if you live in the country you should abide by its laws like everyone else.I know since its introduction the points system has reduced speeding on our roads for the long run long may it last.

i have a non Irish license mate and have points applied on it !
as far as i know so does Muad and he has a danish license.
A mate of mine has plenty of points again with a non Irish driving license

so they do count !
Sebastian

Postby gt94 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 pm

colm_mcm wrote:but I don't begrudge him for avoiding the points.

But as long as he or others know there is no chance of getting points they can drive like manics and pay a fine and then drive off as if nothing happened this in it self is madness.I know for a fact if i could get away without getting points it would change the way i drive but i dont drive like this because i know i have a family at home that need me but when i was younger with no ties it would be a differant story.How many can hold up there hands and say they wouldnt not many.Change the law and it will change the way ALL people drive for they better.
gt94

Postby gt94 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Sebastian wrote:
i have a non Irish license mate and have points applied on it !
as far as i know so does Muad and he has a danish license.
A mate of mine has plenty of points again with a non Irish driving license

so they do count !

Seb im not getting onto people just stating out the flaws in the system hope i didnt offend i had no intention of doing so
Do you have an eu licence or a licence for your own country dont know if this matters but all i know is the lad i work with has no points at all on his but been stopped numberous times
gt94

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am

I think it matters if its an EU one or not, Seb's and Muad's would be EU so points can be applied. But I think its more paperwork or a lot of extra effort to put points on non-Irish licences, so therefore a lot get away with it.
Not pointing out the honest ones here who do pay their tax and insurance and have everything in order, its the ones who blatantly dont that should be caught, I passed a van the other day, Polish plates, on the side was his trade and an Irish mobile number, you trying to tell me he's here for a holiday?? I'm sure he's been seen by many a cop but why isnt he pulled over??
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31 pm

if you have an NCT booking receipt/number in your car, then that will indemnify against any penalty points for not having a cert. Just make sure you can prove your booked in. The next test in Drogheda for example is not till mid may at earliest, so its impossible that everyone can have a test by May 1st, so just have the proof you have one booked and your grand.
As for the guy on the Slovakian license who "knows the system".. thats complete crap. If he is not a "tourist" and is "resident" here, he should have a national license so that he can get penalty points.
I think the EU plan to have an EU wide license system by 2013 in which it will be easier to add points and track etc.
I see some of you already say you have points on foreign licenses, so maybe it does work, I dunno.
Do penalty points matter at all? I have none but still have problems with insurance. If I had 5 would it make a difference? I saw some people informed their insurer they had got some points, and nothing changed. :roll:
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm

Usually the insurance only makes a difference after 4 points, thats what I was aware of anyway.
A system should be in place, EU or not, that within a year of living in a country you need to have a national licence of the country you are currently residing in. In New Zealand thats the case, my licence is going to be up when I'm there, and I have to hand in my Irish one and get a NZ one in return, no extra test or anything, but it means that whatever system is in place for penalising bad driving that I'll be able to be included same as anyone else. And its the way it should be too, just cause I'll have an Irish licence shouldnt let me away with things that people who are there all their life get caught for.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Yet I had none of the above and still didnt hear from them.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT