Mazda RX-7

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Mazda RX-7

Postby adrian » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:45 pm

Hi,

Know nothing about these at all but they look great I think. Just seen a few on the Japan Auction sites....1997 ones for about 16K imported to Ireland.

Any thoughts??

A
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby daniel » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:22 am

nice car allright, with a rotary engine is supposed to have very very smooth gear changes...how bout the new mazda RX-8 with its suicide doors!
daniel
daniel
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:52 am

RX-7, really quick car (5.2sec, 239bhp), needs a full engine rebuild around 80k miles or so.
There are very few of them on the road, but like the FTO, theres a big following in the UK. Shouldn't be a problem to get parts etc, seeing as the RX-8 is also a twin rotary job, local Mazda dealers should be up to speed.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pergau » Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:04 pm

I've always wanted one of them, but they have a very low MPG and there can be problems with the engine if you don't look after it well. E.G. if you start the engine at all, you have to run it to warmor it has a good chance of siezeing.

The low engine capacity (1.3l for the RX8 I think) would help with the tax.

The engine is supoposed to sound like a jet engine but when they had it on Top Gear, they kept talking or playing music over the track, so I couldn't hear it.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby soc » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:32 pm

pergau wrote:I've always wanted one of them, but they have a very low MPG

yea me too - the look awesome and go like the clappers but like you say low MPG - AFAIK it's somewhere in the low teens (OUCH).

pergau also wrote:and there can be problems with the engine if you don't look after it well. E.G. if you start the engine at all, you have to run it to warmor it has a good chance of siezeing.

yea, they are rumoured to be expensive little gits - engine rebuild is a must between 60 & 80K miles and although parts might be readily available in the UK they ain't that cheap which makes them very expensive after conversion to euro. :(

finally pergau wrote:The low engine capacity (1.3l for the RX8 I think) would help with the tax.

I don't think this is the case, AFAIK for both tax and insurance the RX-7 is classed as a 2.6lt car - don't ask me why but I'm sure I heard this somewhere, something to do with the twin turbos.... could check this with Dave :)

If they weren't so expensive to run on a daily basis I'd be looking for one
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:07 pm

shane wrote:
I don't think this is the case, AFAIK for both tax and insurance the RX-7 is classed as a 2.6lt car - don't ask me why but I'm sure I heard this somewhere, something to do with the twin turbos.... could check this with Dave :)

Nah it doesn't have any turbo's is naturally aspirated, the story there is it uses a 1.3 twin rotary engine and as soon as they see twin they think it has two 1.3 engines. there wrong but right if ya get me, it ony has one engine but it is split in two chambers, for for each rotary compression area. turning it into a 6 cylnder engine so to speak (each rotary section has 3 compression chambers)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:24 pm

Daz wrote:Nah it doesn't have any turbo's is naturally aspirated

Yes it does, the 3rd gen. + model RX-7 had twin turbos as standard ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:05 pm

CJ wrote:
Daz wrote:Nah it doesn't have any turbo's is naturally aspirated

Yes it does, the 3rd gen. + model RX-7 had twin turbos as standard ;)

Ciaran

Ah sorry got my wires crossed :? i was talking RX8 but ok the same principle applies for gen 1&2 rx7

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby pergau » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:28 pm

Don't care, still want one.
pergau

Postby Speedyboy » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:32 pm

Ive read that maza have a deal with the revenue that the RX8 will be taxed as 1800cc which is quite reasonable !

No if you could get it insured as a 1.8 you'd be laughing!
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to Japanese Performance