rough shifting from N to D

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

rough shifting from N to D

Postby flateric » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I have succesfully swapped my broken FTP GPX 4-speed gearbox and had to change the input speedsensor as well , no more limpmodes and smooth shifting during driving but i noticed some other minor issues.. :cry: of which i hope you can help me with your experience.

- shifting from N into D at idle makes the car almost jump, just feels too rough to be normal. ( shifting into R is very smooth )
- there's a little delay in shifting gears using the tiptronic

during the installation I have used Dextron III and installed a new filter.

cheers
flateric
1st gear
1st gear

Re: rough shifting from N to D

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am

Did you just replace 4 speed with 4 speed ?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby flateric » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:00 pm

Yes i have replaced the 4 speed gearbox by a 4 speed gearbox but i had to get other inner cv joints because the new box had 25 splines instead of 27..

now another thing happened.. i left my fto in the garage for a couple of weeks after having the replacement done and......it leaked transmission fluid.. about 1 litr... the inner cvjoint came out of the gearbox or did not fit completely and started leaking.. i have tried everything to get the cv joint back in the gearbox and it won't fit.. it goes in till the last 5mm and it just hits something where it can't go any further.. i also noticed that i had a whining noise on the first drive after i had swapped the gearbox and drove it to my garage but i thought that could be the old tyres..

i took off the spline to make sure that it doesn't prevent it from fitting correctly. i changed the cv joints from left to right and vice versa.. same issue.. I'm running out of ideas :cry: passenger side fits perfectly with both joints..

are both joints left and right identical ? i have obtained 2 from ebay after i noticed that the new box had 25 splines instead of 27. i'm thinking of my differential being fecked...
flateric
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 pm

that sounds bad....cant help you with that I am afraid, as far as the small jolt switching between N and D mine has always done that, it is the rive gear engaging, the delay in tip mode....when you shift up does the gear change on your dash straight away or is there a delay there also?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:24 pm

That's tough luck there. But when you have it running properly again, you'll be smiling from ear to ear. Either that, or you could spend your money on a box of matches and a bucket of petrol.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical