Car is getting Mapped

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Car is getting Mapped

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Well I bought the car a new EMS as the unichip that is in it isn't up to the job so got one an Utec Turbo XS in from the states, booked the car into CDA to get it fitted and mapped, brought it along in the middle of January and it turned out that I didn't get all the parts required, so had to order another small part from the states, it landed a week or so ago and I booked the car in again and dropped it off yesterday....

Got a call today to say that there is a problem with the car, it's not boosting as it should be, it's reaching 0.2bar at 4000rpm but it falls off after that, which it shouldn't do, it should increase with the revs all the way to redline and should easily reach 0.5bar of boost! It looks like there is a leak somewhere in the system, so checked the bypass valve it looks like that it's not closing fully when on full throttle, so boost is leaking through there plus there is a fuel sensor problem that will need to be replaced, so once it's done, the car should be running like a dream! I hadn't noticed any performance issues, it's been running perfectly, or so I thought, but at least it'll be fixed now and will be producing the pwoer it should be!!! (hopefully up around the 400bhp mark!!)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 pm

That Zed was quick beforehand - I imagine it'll be tarmac tearing fast with circa 400bhp.

How did the Utec and mapping work out pricewise?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:29 pm

That's what I was thinking Shane, I thought it was plenty quick, but it seems to be down a lot more on power than I thought...

Utec ended up costing more than I orginally had planned for, customs got their cut of €140, the system itself cost €650, and then I had to get a map sensor too so that was another €130, so all in just under €1000, then with the mapping and the replacement parts, who knows, probably close to the €2K mark to get it running as it should be, but given how down on power it is at the moment it should be an absolute monster when it's done!!!!! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:39 pm

2K well spent IMHO - you'd spend it on a set of rims - now you got supercar worrying performance.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Well that's the plan!!!

Plus with the map selector option I have I'll be able to flip between maps and run something around the 350bhp mark and have the 400bhp for whenever it's needed!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Dave, I have a spleen that's crying out to be ruptured.

You'll have to bring her to a meet once she's set up, I'd love a gander.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Not a problem Bernard!!! :lol:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby elaine » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:43 am

Bernard wrote:Dave, You'll have to bring her to a meet once she's set up, I'd love a gander.
john here i have to agree would love to see it with that kind of power
elaine
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:54 am

It certainly wasn't a slouch before...wonder what the performance will feel like afterwards... do keep the updates coming.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:26 am

I'll know more on Monday, there's a small part that feeds into the fuel reg and a vacum and it's broken, that plays a small part as the boost is leaking there a little too, but Nick in CDA emailed me last night to say that they did a bit more research on my kit and are going to try the bypass valve again, they're first going to blank it off to see if the boost rises, if it does then at least the leak issue is diagnosed and then hopefully they can get the valve working again!

It should be a different animal altogether once is producing it's full potential!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:12 pm

You hardly notice 0.2 bar of boost, be prepared for a big change when the car is set up properly. I'd have thought you'd be running way more that 0.5 bar? I ran the RX-7 @ 1bar and I've set the VR-4 @ 0.8bar, the former was mapped, the latter has the stock ECU.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Agreed CJ, the supercharger is probably capable of a lot more alright, but the 0.5bar was just a low ball park of what it should be running at!

Stuck a picture of the part that was broken up on the 350z site and one of the guys there had two lying about so one is winging it's way over to me tomorrow, just shows the value of car clubs/forums!! God only knows how much the part would have cost from Nissan directly!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:15 pm

I'd think its fair to say people have thrown a hell of a lot more than €2k at a car to get the kind of change in power you're likely to get in the next couple days? :lol:
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby RussMan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:50 pm

Really have to see this.... would be so tempted down the line to get pumped up on the power. Although even with my 313bhp or 309bhp whatever it actually is i lose traction constantly in shifting from first to second / second to third and thats with new Asymetric Goodyear Eagle F1's in the dry. How do you find the car putting down that sort of power?
I've a completely empty trunk for a while now which hasn't helped as i'm doing some VERY complicated reqwiring of all my audio system.

Best of luck with the repair job!

Russ
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:44 am

In fairness I probably am throwing more money at this than I would like, the inital plan was only to spend about €1K on getting this done, but I hadn't realised that it was so down on power, but in my mind it will be worth it....

As for traction, I don't do many fast starts in the car, most of my driving is motor way so there's not many opportunities to do it, I do still loose traction from second to third, but I've to really feed in the power, or else I'll just light the wheels up and go no where fast!

Once this is all done I might consider getting some underbody braces to try and hold everything together that bit tighter!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Well a small update is due...

Bypass valve is working a treat, the valve/sensor issue has been fixed too. They came across another problem which was the belt was slipping at the higher rev range, this also accounted for the drop in boost.
A new belt was purchased, but two new smaller pulleys were installed as well to prevent any slippage.

They did a dyno run the very first day and it produced 304bhp (they did say that it would be about 10% less than Westwards which produced 333bhp)
They changed the belts and valve etc and it produced 360bhp, this was before the additional pulleys went in which have reduced any further slippage, they are going to run another power run on the dyno and expect 380bhp as it's now boosting all the way to the rev limiter...

So Utec will be going in today or tomorrow and will be remapped, so should easily see the 400bhp region!!

Updates will follow later in the week, hoping to have it back Wednesday or Thursday! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:34 pm

Excellent!
Not many cars will see a 30% increase in power over a week! :twisted:
We gonna see it down in Wexford?
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:45 pm

No I suppose not Tom, I will try to get to the meet alright, depends if I get the car back this week or not..

The pic below are the two new small pulleys that were installed to prevent the belt rising and then slipping...

Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:47 pm

Dave wrote:...........
Updates will follow later in the week, hoping to have it back Wednesday or Thursday! :twisted:

Let us know how its driving - I imagine a 80-90bhp increase will be fairly noticeable on the road.

What torque figures was it running at - what are you hoping to acheive?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:56 pm

At westward it was pushing 410nm of torque, I'd ideally like 400/400 but the torque will always be less than the bhp because it's belt driven FI...

It should be really noticeable, the Utec hardly seems worthwhile now, but it has a better map than the unichip, for that kind of power the car runs lean which is not ideal, the Utec and switch over to a map sensor will mean that it won't run lean especially up in the higher revs which is a good thing!!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Well just off the phone with the tuners and the car is pushinf 390bhp and about 340ftlb of torque!
The first power run done before this started was only 304bhp!! So it should be fairly noticeable!! :twisted:

Hopefully will have the car back before the weekend, still not sure on the Wexford trip though, we will have to wait and see!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:07 pm

Dave, set TCL = On ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:32 pm

ha ha ha, yeah I think so!!

I doubt I'll get traction until third by the sounds of it! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Final power figures were 416bhp, there was a misfire at the top of the rev range which indicated the plugs and possible one of the coil packs was shot, so they are now winging there way over to my tuner from the Uk...I ended up getting a set of HKS iridium plugs that should do the job nicely!

An increase of approx 140bhp over a standard 350z!!! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:25 pm

:shock:

Wow, impressive stuff, that's a whole Celica worth of extra power!
colm_mcm

Next

Return to Japanese Performance