Peugeot 106 GTI

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Peugeot 106 GTI

Postby soc » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:03 pm

What do people make of the 106 GTI.... ok so it's french and probably as squeaky as the 205 GTI but it's supposed to be a wicked drive and pretty quick too.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:58 am

I was going to post this same thread....until I realised that Shane had gotten in ahead of me. It's about a year and a half old with 33 views and no responses!

The 106 GTI is supposed to be a cracking car to drive, in true small GTI spirit, and is highly regarded by the motoring press. Anyone here ever driven one? Any thought, experiences?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:32 am

Mustang wrote:I was going to post this same thread....until I realised that Shane had gotten in ahead of me. It's about a year and a half old with 33 views and no responses!

The 106 GTI is supposed to be a cracking car to drive, in true small GTI spirit, and is highly regarded by the motoring press. Anyone here ever driven one? Any thought, experiences?

It is a cracking car to drive but to be honest it's a bit small and plastic on the inside. Also it's fine if you stay off the motorway cause there really isn't any topend worth talking about - after an FTO you just wouldn't want to go there :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:47 am

I'd image that it's not the most ideal motorway cruiser alright, I'm inclined to agree about the interior too, probably tinny and sweeky! But like you say it's supposed to be a cracking drive. It would definitely be a very different experience to the FTO, variety is the spice of life and all that. A friend of mine had a 205GTi before, and I was bowled over by it's abilities.
I think I'd like to add a GTi to my driving CV at some stage, although I'm not sure that I'd give up the FTO for one. Peugeot seem to be the best in the business when it comes to GTI's (que the pro Jap lobby to enter the thread!). TBH the golf is more GT than GTI.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:52 am

When it comes to French motors, the lads over on octane.ie know their stuff.

http://www.octane.ie/guide/model.php?model=9#maintext

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm

Mustang wrote: A friend of mine had a 205GTi before, and I was bowled over by it's abilities.
I think I'd like to add a GTi to my driving CV at some stage, although I'm not sure that I'd give up the FTO for one. Peugeot seem to be the best in the business when it comes to GTI's (que the pro Jap lobby to enter the thread!). TBH the golf is more GT than GTI.

I had 2 205 git's - both1.9's. Amazing cars to drive. I lowered one on koni's and added a few other little bits and it was a very, very sweet driving car..... but it was a nightmare for passengers although it wasn't too bad cruising on the motorway. Bloody amazing handling though - ping sharp, direct, responsive, grip you wouldn't believe and lift off oversteer to beat the band :-)

The golf on the other hand is (like you say) more GT - but if you fettle the 1.8T's handling a little you've got one very capable car (epescially if you Revo it).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars