Cheap Insurance

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Cheap Insurance

Postby Helen » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:07 am

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering does anyone know where a 23 year old can get quoted on an FTO. so far can only get quoted on a 1.8 FTO but i cant find one for sale with that engine. :cry: thanks
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Cheap Insurance

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:24 am

Helen wrote:Hi Everyone,
Just wondering does anyone know where a 23 year old can get quoted on an FTO. so far can only get quoted on a 1.8 FTO but i cant find one for sale with that engine. :cry: thanks

Did you try St. Pauls (through a brokers)???
I'm suprised that the insurance companies you have rang have differentiated between the 1.8 and 2.0 V6 to be honest - I have yet to see a difference in quote on either. There is a nice blue GS for sale on the for sale section on this forum - far nicer than anything you are likely to come across on CBG or autotrader - the pictures of this car are in the gallery on the main site.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:26 am

we should be able to quote you.
01-4033700, ask for Linda.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Helen,
You may also want to try Britton insurance
http://www.brittoninsurance.com/
They are usually quite good at quoting 'performance cars', not so sure about being cheap though! The main underwriters offering cover on FTO's are St.Pauls, Lloyds & ARB. All of whom you will have to deal with through brokers. Not all brokers are necessarily affiliated with all of these three companies so ring around. Also the cost of cover with a particular company, but through different brokers can vary enormously (€1400 in my experience)....so again ring around. While ARB do have a direct office where they can be contacted...don't bother. They have some bullsh!t scheme whereby if you are under 25 (or is it older) the car has to be less than 6 six years old (or is it younger?) or some such rubbish....either way your age and that of the car would exclude you. Therefore you'd have to go through a broker in order to deal with ARB. If you do manage to get quoted by brokers they will generally only quote the cheapest option. For the sake of comparison between brokers suggest you ask: Who is the underwriter?, Are any other companies offering cover? If so who, and how much?

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby declanc » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:45 pm

Helen,

I had the same problem with insurance, I'm 23 aswell and am insured with Hibernian thru a broker. Anyway, I had a 1.3 civic insured with them and was planing on selling it so I rang the broker and asked her to get me some qoutes on a 2ltr FTO, (I tried to get quotes myself with no joy at all!) the only one that would insure me was Hibernian, and the only reason they would quote me was because I was already with them :!:
declanc
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Mustang » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:25 pm

Helen,
Like Declanc says your best bet might be your current insurer. Urban legend has it that they are obliged to quote you on a change of vehicle. Try a bit of persistance :wink:
Let us know how you got on.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Helen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:23 pm

hey. with eagle star at the moment and they will not even entertain the idea of a 1.8 coz it is a high risk vechicle. they will not even temp change if over for me to bring her home tonight, so they are no good to me
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:13 pm

Helen wrote:hey. with eagle star at the moment and they will not even entertain the idea of a 1.8 coz it is a high risk vechicle. they will not even temp change if over for me to bring her home tonight, so they are no good to me

What car were you insured on with them already?

I would have thought they would be obliged to issue a quote - tell them you have bought the car and sold your own so you have no choice but to insure the FTO.

Have you gotten any quotes from the brokers at all? I know of a few 22-25 yr old guys who had no particular problem getting insured so a 23 year old lady shouldn't have a problem - won't be cheap but you should get a quote for TP F&T at least.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:15 pm

how did you get on with us? did Linda manage to get you a quote?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:41 pm

Helen wrote:hey. with eagle star at the moment and they will not even entertain the idea of a 1.8 coz it is a high risk vechicle. they will not even temp change if over for me to bring her home tonight, so they are no good to me

ya, as Mustang said, they're obliged to give you a quote if you're already insured with them. Nothing says the quote has to be sane but I'm pretty sure thats a legal thing. Maybe its that they have to quote you only if you can't get a quote from anyone else but you'd think they would anyway having that obligation hanging over them.

Kevin.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:57 pm

kevinod wrote:ya, as Mustang said, they're obliged to give you a quote if you're already insured with them. Nothing says the quote has to be sane but I'm pretty sure thats a legal thing. Maybe its that they have to quote you only if you can't get a quote from anyone else but you'd think they would anyway having that obligation hanging over them.

Dave, maybe you could verify this with your contacts in the biz?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Helen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:59 pm

at the moment i have a nissan 100 n.x insured with them, she is a 1.6 twin cam and they had no problem giving me that policy. had a 1.4 206 before that. ya i rang linda and got a quote from her but ya see the problem at the moment that i have is if i leave her parked up she has no insurance so i dont want that and if i insure her now i will lose 1 years no-claims bonus which is bringing the price up about 500 for just me and 1500 with my fiance on it as a name driver.
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:00 pm

as far as i know they have to but as Kevin said it doesn't have to be sane.... they can quote anything they like really.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:03 pm

Helen wrote:the problem at the moment that i have is if i leave her parked up she has no insurance

Helen, if you take the car out of the driveway every couple of weeks, thats not leaving it parked up :?: Surely thats an option.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:10 pm

CJ wrote
Helen, if you take the car out of the driveway every couple of weeks, thats not leaving it parked up Surely thats an option.

CJ

CJ, I think you are missing the point!

Helen, correct me if I'm wrong.
You have a 100nx insured at present with a few weeks to go until the end of the policy year. (When you'll have another years NCB, and are planning on changing insurance co. and => new policy).
Current co. will not cover FTO, and no point moving now as you would loose a years NCB.
You are concerned about leaving the FTO parked up uninsured in the interim? (CJ the issue is insurance cover for the FTO, not whether or not it is parked up).

Helen,
You can only cover one car at a time on an individual policy. If it was me I would simply park the FTO up until I was ready to use it. This is actually what I did do when I bought mine. Don't get too parnoid about it being robbed. Invest in a proper steering lock, remove the battery, fuel pump fuse etc, to immobilise the car. There would be no point switching insurance co's now, loosing a years NCB and this would mean the 100nx is uninsured...inconvenient if you are trying to sell it.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Helen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:28 pm

ya i suppose your right but was just thinking to much when i was told it would not be covered. eagle star are now going to change my policy onto the fto for one week so at least i can get her home and not have to worry about it being on the road, did not think of buying a lock or taking out the battery, good idea thanks
Helen
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby kevinod » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:03 pm

Just on locks, don't bother with one of those that work by clamping on at opposite sites of the steering wheel and being too long to turn the wheel, they're really easy to take off. Of so I've heard *ahem*. :wink:

They're just for show and really amateur car thieves rather than being really effective.

Dem edumacashunal dokumentil progrems air reely gud!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:16 pm

Mustang wrote:CJ, I think you are missing the point!

Mustang wrote:CJ the issue is insurance cover for the FTO, not whether or not it is parked up

Alright, alright, go easy on me, I've had a busy day ;)

Now that I've had an opportunity to re-read Helens post, I can see where she was coming from.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Helen wrote
, did not think of buying a lock or taking out the battery, good idea thanks

Helen, just another thought on this....Removing the battery is a fairly definite way of ensuring the car can't be stolen.....but it would mean that your alarm/immobiliser would not be in operation....so someone could maybe steal the stereo. On the other hand if the car is left sitting idle for weeks on end with battery connected it may go flat.
Personally I would invest in a decent security lock...I bought one of these
http://www.disklok.com/
I'd probably leave the battery connected (with alarm active). Remove the fuel pump fuse and say the starter motor fuse. You could also disconnect the spark plug leads, etc
(as an aside, if you have a coded stereo and you disconnect the battery, you will need the code to re-activate the stereo once you reconnect the battery)

CJ wrote
Alright, alright, go easy on me, I've had a busy day

Sorry about that :roll:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:40 pm

Or you could just unplug the main engine fuse or unplug the ECU in the Left hand side passenger footwell.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Neil » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:55 pm

Mine is parked up right now, another 24 days!!!!

agonising really..
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby will_23 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:34 pm

Helen,

You should be able to get a quote on www.123.ie, just dont pick the first model in the list the site shows you for the FTO, for some reason it does not come back with a quote for it.
Cheers,

Will.
will_23

Return to Motor Insurance