Replacing ignition lock cylinder cos lost keys

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Replacing ignition lock cylinder cos lost keys

Postby LunarFGKry » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Hello everyone~ :3

Haven't intro'd myself but will do so soon cos my FTO is not yet ready for pictures... X3

I have a 1994/5 GPX Tip, recon'd from Japan and my location's in Brunei~ :3 'clocked a LOOONG 255,000++ KM on milage. REAL old. But I love my FTO.

Anyway, recently stupidly lost my only key. FOB unable cos it's a recon car so Mitsubishi dealers do not waste their time with us and I didn't wanna use the locksmith method cos I bought the spare key lock set for the FTO.
So there I was, with my shiny new mechanic tool box, removing panels and the steering wheel. Got to the ignition cylinder lock and none of the tools would work to get the darn thing out. Ugh.
Google says to drill it - with a risk of destroying the ignition switch - which is more MONEY.

Question:

1) Any other alternatives than drilling?
2) Has anybody drilled into the ignition lock cylinder? How far in would be safe without harming the ignition switch? what sized drill should be used?
Swift as the Wind, Silent as the Forest, Raging as the Fire, Unmovable as the Mountain~~~
LunarFGKry

Re: Replacing ignition lock cylinder cos lost keys

Postby LunarFGKry » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:51 am

- Drilled into the ignition lock cylinder and guess what?

After all the fiasco, all I had to do was knock the locking pin in and voila! - the ignition lock cylinder popped open. How miffed was I at how oddly simple the solution was... <face palm>

Anyway, Mitsubishi dealer gave me key lock set MR439872... and I did notice there was a slight difference between the original one I had and this new one. No bother, I popped it in anyway - regrettable life choice. Camskill.com says the key fit choices are:

MR236129 ,
MR236130 ,
MR288798 ,
MR288799

NOT

MR439872

- Depending on chasis number. <sigh>

Now stuck with an ignition cylinder barrel ever in the accessory position... seems like I need to get me a new Engine starter assembly... AND a new cylinder lock key set...
Swift as the Wind, Silent as the Forest, Raging as the Fire, Unmovable as the Mountain~~~
LunarFGKry

Return to FTO Technical