Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Central locking problem

Postby kerosene » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi folks,

I have a problem with my fto's central locking. It's been locking itself
constantly. When I unlock the car with the key fob, the central locking
opens both doors than locks itself straight away.i usually
have to open the handle quickly to get in, otherwise I have to use the fob again
twice to lock/unlock to get in.

I had a look at the door locking controlling unit and is
working fine.i've read through articles on here and the web
but couldn't find anything.
kerosene
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Central locking problem

Postby goz_83 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:26 pm

What happens when yiu unlock it manually, inserting the key into the door?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kerosene » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:49 am

Hi Goz,thanks for replying!

When I used the key in the drivers door this morning to test it, and unlocked
the door the car unlocked both doors then immediately locked again.

I went into town during the morning,and tried the key
again.It unlocked and stayed unlocked.

The central locking seems to have a mind of its own when it wants to stay unlocked or locked

Most of the time it still locks itself though.

I don't know where to look whether it's a loose connection or something has moisture
In it.
kerosene
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:44 pm

I had this problem with a 00 GX. I replaced a faulty window regulator in the driver side and had the battery disconnected for the job. When I reconnected the battery, as I had hoped, the door locking had sorted itself out. It is also possible that it could be the central locking fob on the key ring. I would try the key by itself, with the fob far away from the car. Then try disconnecting battery for 15 minutes with car locks in open position after it is disconnected. See how you get on with that. If that doesn't work, it's going to be checking wiring, but it's more than likely the actuator at fault. The problem usually starts with the drivers door afaik. The actuator might not be cycling properly, causing the car to lock itself automatically. You may need this replaced. It should be easy to a used one. try Seb, or Gerry.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kerosene » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:15 pm

The 00 GX you mentioned wouldn't happen to be the one I bought off you?.
I still have it now.

I will try that out and see how I get on.Thanks!
kerosene
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:14 am

kerosene wrote:The 00 GX you mentioned wouldn't happen to be the one I bought off you?.
I still have it now.

I will try that out and see how I get on.Thanks!

:lol:

No way! Yeah, I only had the one 00 GX. So, here's what I remember:

Myself and Mick-ah went to view/buy it. Car in great nick. Blonde lady selling. Started engine, door closed and locked itself. Owner says she has no spare key :shock:
After a few minutes, she produces the blade of a key (which i later made a mould handle for with stell putty) and opened the door.

The lock only locked itself when the door was closed. It wouldn't do it if the door was already closed over though. This is important information, because it suggests (and i didn't know this at the time) that the actuator may be faulty. I learned all about actuator problems a couple of weeks ago when the boot of the zafira wouldn't open. Though, it turned out to be a semi fried fuse board, which I managed to sort with the help of God :lol: and some soldering.....i still learned a lot and saved €500 with my diy repair :smt003

When i replaced the window regulator (and disconnected the battery to do it), i may have inadvertently hit the actuator and temporarily solved the problem. If I had known the actuator was on the way out, I would have changed it, because I had the parts laying around. Now, I could be wrong, but I reckon that the actuator is the problem. After thousands of slams, it wouldn't be surprising if it is failing. I believe the locked position is the default position, which is why it auto locks, rather than auto opens. Hope that helps. How is she going for you otherwise? That was a stunning car and was glad to see it go back on the road.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kerosene » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:58 pm

That's what's probably wrong so. :) I just thought I mention it as it was the car as
you had before. She's running great after I bought it off you I ran it for a few months,
Then I parked it for a year.I had a vw golf van,sold that and have a Subaru legacy B4 which I was unfortunate
to have a accident with. I'm using the fto as a daily driver now while the Subaru is getting the
crash damage fixed.Changed a few Calipers, serviced it, and 4 tyres.Shes running great!
I'll see if I can get an actuator so. Thanks again Goz :)
kerosene
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical