FTO problems

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

FTO problems

Postby DC7904 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Hi, i am from the uk but this site seems helpful in searches that i have done so wandered if any one could help me out with the following...

I have just purchased a FTO GPX manual and noticed a few problems on my drive home...

Firstly when driving, if i put my foot to the floor the revs fly up but the power doesn't come as though i am pushing the clutch down at the same time. I am thinking it is the clutch worn out but there is no smell to indicate this? The car is fitted with a superchip, huge air filter and full stainless exhuast with de-cat but i can't see these causing the problem.

Secondly the speedo didn't work and apparently it is intermitent, i have been told this could be a sensor. Is this a common problem?

Also it doesn't idle correctly when cold, revs drop too low and it cuts out, also been told this is the stepper motor?

Originally i only bought the car to strip and install parts onto my original GPX but it is too good a car to strip and have decided to keep this one instead.

As an after thought if i have to change the clutch, i would want to change gearbox for a LSD manual box, would this swap straight over from mine?

Thanks in advance for any advise, it will be much appreciated
DC7904
1st gear
1st gear

Re: FTO problems

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Welcome to the club. :wel

I don't know about the power issue but you are right about the seed sensor. They way you described it it seems to be just a loose connection. Every easy to fix you can just cable tie it together to fix into place

As for for the stepper. Is the car stalling when you slow down rapidly at traffic lights etc as this is another indicator of a faulty stepper. This is another easy fix. You need to take it off which only takes 2 Minutes and give it a good clean.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby optical illusion » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:03 pm

Everything sounds about right there - including the worn clutch. Doesn't have to smell to be worn.

You should have bought a GPvR - then you would have had LSD already ;)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby d_dan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:48 pm

As there is no smell I would guess the flywheel has been scorched.
And a new clutch fitted but isnt biting because of this.

You can try resetting the ECU. which may help the car's ideling a little.
FROM COLD

disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes,
Reconnect the battery and start the car up and leave it idel for a further 15 minutes this will reset the ecu. (Be sure not to turn the steering wheel or rev the car during these 15 min.

is your car reading MPH or KPH?
It could be a loose connection on either the standard speed sensor or the KPH/MPH converter if thats been fitted
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby DC7904 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for advise :)

optical illusion wrote:Everything sounds about right there - including the worn clutch. Doesn't have to smell to be worn.
You should have bought a GPvR - then you would have had LSD already ;)

I couldn't afford a GPvR :( they were out of my price range unfotunatly

d_dan wrote:As there is no smell I would guess the flywheel has been scorched.
And a new clutch fitted but isnt biting because of this.

You can try resetting the ECU. which may help the car's ideling a little.
FROM COLD

disconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes,
Reconnect the battery and start the car up and leave it idel for a further 15 minutes this will reset the ecu. (Be sure not to turn the steering wheel or rev the car during these 15 min.

is your car reading MPH or KPH?
It could be a loose connection on either the standard speed sensor or the KPH/MPH converter if thats been fitted

By resetting the ecu, would it effect the super chip unit? I will try that today, i took the stepper motor off yesterday and cleaned it thouroughly but it didn't help.

The car is in MPH, i was thinking it may be a faulty converter but didn't know if that was a common problem.

As for the clutch, it was working perfect when i picked it up but after about thirty miles it stated to play up, there is no wierd noises, no smells. It only plays up if i acccelorate, it will rev but won't respond as though i am pressing the clutch in. I will have to take it all to bits and inspect it.
DC7904
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Same as what everybody else is saying..

01. Clean stepper (search is your friend, the full procedure is posted on here)
02. Clutch appears to be worn out - worth checking if previous owner replaced this - if not, be prepared that you may have to. As already pointed out it doesn't always smell - in fact from personal experience I can categorically say that it's quite possible that it wont smell at all.
03. Definately undertake a service..
- Plugs
- Filters
- Fluids
- Aux belts
04. Verify when timing belt and waterpump were last replaced.

Well wear - and congrats on the purchase!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby DC7904 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks everyone

I have taken the stepper motor out and cleaned as described in a thread i found but this made no difference, the only thing i didn't do was reset the ecu as i have a programable superchip unit on the car and didn't know if this would be effected (need to look into this)

I have now started to strip the car to a bare shell so everything will be coming out and if damaged/knackered it'll be replaced. I want to rebuild it as a track day car so hopefully i will sort the problems as i go along.

I have another FTO to run around in until this one is sorted out over the winter
DC7904
1st gear
1st gear

Postby optical illusion » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:32 pm

What did you clean it with? You have to get into every nook and cranny, take it all apart and have it spotless... Have you adjusted your idle control valve?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby DC7904 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:41 pm

I'll have to have another go at it this weekend i think and reset the ecu after. Hopefully it will work :roll:
DC7904
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical