air con belts

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

air con belts

Postby Leeandjude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:53 pm

Today i removed the aircon system as it wasnt working and one of the pipes was corroded through.
Got all the pipe work out, took out the radiator and removed the aircon pump and tensioner.
I bought the camskill alternative aircon belt http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s583p1322 ... dels%29%0A

I went to try and fit the new belt but i cant get it on. its just too short and i cant work out how you tension it as the tension arm was part of the air con pump and the belt would deffo not fit then. I even loosened up the power steering pump but still not good.

I know some people have removed the aircon so im asking how the heck did you get the belt on??

thanks!
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Re: air con belts

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Leeandjude wrote:Today i removed the aircon system as it wasnt working and one of the pipes was corroded through.
Got all the pipe work out, took out the radiator and removed the aircon pump and tensioner.
I bought the camskill alternative aircon belt http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s583p1322 ... dels%29%0A

I went to try and fit the new belt but i cant get it on. its just too short and i cant work out how you tension it as the tension arm was part of the air con pump and the belt would deffo not fit then. I even loosened up the power steering pump but still not good.

I know some people have removed the aircon so im asking how the heck did you get the belt on??

thanks!

I removed the air con from my last FTO and the nearest size belt was very tight alright. Don't think anything apart from a bit of elbow grease was required though.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Leeandjude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:13 pm

so just try and lever it on?

will have to have a hell of a lever....its mega tight. it doesnt even go halfway on.

will try again tomorrow in the daylight!
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Postby d_dan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:15 pm

I measured the length I needed for the belt using a piece of string. Run it the way your belt needs to run then measure that length of string. and go down to your local motor factors and tell them how long you want it to be and how many ribs you need. They should have something for you
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Leeandjude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:29 pm

I have the belt already...its the camskill air con removed belt for fto's (see top link)

but i might pop down and see if i can get another if I cant get this one on. but surely camskill would of given me the right one?
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Postby d_dan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Ahh yea... as Shane said elbow grease. just get it on a little and start twisting
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby AdrianGP_vR » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 pm

I just done mine mate. Had a bit a hassle also, you have to put the belt on the crank pulley first and overlap as much of the belt as you can on the top of the power steering pump pulley. Secondly get a 22mm ratchet onto the crank pulley nut and start turning it clockwise while at the same time guiding the belt on the PS pulley with your other hand to make sure it doesn't slip back off. Keep turning it until the ribs are sitting on the pulleys correctly. I removed the big iron bracket that's bolted onto the engine block also. I weighed the whole A/C system and it comes to 21kgs. Engine revs up better and the already great handling improved a small bit.
AdrianGP_vR
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Leeandjude » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Excellent thanks!
Got it all on no problems....then went to remove the downpipe. 4 bolts holding it onto the manifold came of fine...but the bolts holding it to the cat was proper rusted solid and rounded off. :(
So...just ordered a decat to jump that section as well! Hope to be done this weekend. :D
Leeandjude
1st gear
1st gear

Postby AdrianGP_vR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:48 pm

Leeandjude wrote:Excellent thanks!
Got it all on no problems....then went to remove the downpipe. 4 bolts holding it onto the manifold came of fine...but the bolts holding it to the cat was proper rusted solid and rounded off. :(
So...just ordered a decat to jump that section as well! Hope to be done this weekend. :D

No probs glad you got sorted, just to let you know you don't need to take off the exhaust manifold to get the big metal bracket off. Take out all the other bolts first and take the one adjacent to the exhaust manifold off last; you won't be able to take it out fully but it will unscrew out of the hole completely allowing you to just remove the bracket with the bolt still in the guide hole.
AdrianGP_vR
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to FTO Technical