New NCT Regulations

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

New NCT Regulations

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:33 am

Anyone hear the interview on the radio with the transport minister, they want to change the NCT to "outlaw" modified cars, basically anything with tinted windows or modifications made to exhausts and so on.
But at the same time, they said that manufacturer's tinted windows aren't a problem! Exhausts could be a bit of a problem for some, myself included!
It's not in as yet but it's on the cards to come in for January!

On a good note though, they are looking to get away from the stupid failures, such as lettering on the number plates and the orange-ness of the bulbs and crap like that!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:51 am

When you say modifications to exhausts, you mean the unnecessarily loud ones or the de-catting?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:54 am

I heard something briefly about it this morning, somthing about tinted windows and 'loud' exhausts was mentioned...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:56 am

Here you go!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Grrr

Postby IrishPhoenix » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:56 am

They should do away with ripping us off as well but I can't see that from happening. Still waiting for my FTO to be fixed. The 95 Peugot 106 i'm driving just isn't the same! :shock:
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:07 am

Under a planned order, amending the terms of the NCT, cars will be failed if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications after January 1st 2006.

Damn Nanny state at its best! It will be interesting to see how they manage this, will this mean that you'll have to remove the aftermarket exhaust and filter from your newly imported Japanese car? Bit of a minefield if you ask me...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:21 am

CJ wrote:
Under a planned order, amending the terms of the NCT, cars will be failed if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications after January 1st 2006.

Damn Nanny state at its best! It will be interesting to see how they manage this, will this mean that you'll have to remove the aftermarket exhaust and filter from your newly imported Japanese car? Bit of a minefield if you ask me...

CJ

You said it! How will they decide what revs to test the 'exhaust loudness' at, will it be different for each car? Different for petrol and diesel? They're going to find that very difficult to nail down and live with afterwards.

As if there weren't enough variances between NCT places already, maybe they should sort out the existing system before expanding it!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 am

This seems to be going hand-in-hand with the latest Garda initiative that has lead to thousands of modified cars getting several summonses -a few of my mates have between 7-15 different summonses from Guards ranging from tinted windows to plates to non-standard (too loud) exhausts to other misc bits of crap.

I don't know how it is possible to police exhausts esp if it is within the legal decibel and emissions limits. My mechanics car (WRX Scooby) got taken to Dublin recently by the guards for a noise level check - it passed. He got stopped again last week and they wanted to put him back through the same test again - didn't happen when he insisted that they use a transporter to bring the car up to Dublin.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby JD » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:45 am

WFT...what do they mean by 'unauthorised' modifications????, Who authorises modifications?????

The last thing we need is the decision being left to the local NCT bods!!!!! you can imagine the rows :x .
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:01 pm

GAH!

There is a similar "system" in place in Denmark. basically if you're pulled-over and the copper thinks your car is "a bit off" he can take it for testing. They can actually take the car there and then if they feel like it.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

ivor callely c*nt

Postby saoirse32 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:05 pm

i hate that pr*ck ivor callelly,
he lives down the road from me.
his daughter drives an old vw beetle and its the noisiest thing ive ever heard, i wonder will that get taken off the road....?
or is it different rules for politicians?
Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

96 passion red gr
saoirse32
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:13 pm

Here's what we do...

We drill holes in all his and his relations (-cars-) exhausts and tint all their (-car-) windows.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

discrimination

Postby IrishPhoenix » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:38 am

I reckon its another form of discrimination against the minority of people who actually care enough about their cars to do them up. Do you think we should sign one of those online petition thingys? How about a modified cars protest driving around the Dail? That would look great. What about all the cars that arent insured? Imports or refugees cars? They don't police that.

IP
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine'.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:49 am

Hey who causes the fatal accidents?
Who gets caught speeding?
who drives home from the pub with a few drinks in them?

It's certainly not us..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Here ye go - ye don't agree with it - so sign the petition!

http://www.petitiononline.com/Modified/petition.html
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:36 pm

Like someone said to me, Ivor is just some nobody, unknown junior minister trying to make a name for himself before the next general election.

The reality here is that all they will do is enforce a similar set of laws that already exist in the UK, i.e. limits on how dark you can have tints and limits to how loud your exhaust can go..... all the other rumours will turn out to be complete rubbish and just headline grabbers (e.g. not allowing non-standard alloys on your car, etc.).

You only have to look at that twat O'Dee and his lame-duck attempts to grab the headlines with his gun pose yesterday to see their all competing for some limelight as we draw closer to an election....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:42 pm

Anyway if these regs do nothing other than get rid of all those scumbags with there jet black tinted windows and straight through bean can exhausts on their <1.0/1.2/1.3/1.4> crap micras, civics, starletts etc. then I'll be happy.....

Disclaimer: I don't want to tar everyone who drives a micra, civic, starlett, etc. with the same brush but unfortunately most of the idiot, accident causing, obnoxious, scum in our society drive these type of tarted up cars......
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:52 pm

Ban politics!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby IrishPhoenix » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 am

Now that Ivor has been caught with all his houses etc, I wonder if the NCT change will go ahead?

Serves him right.
- Tommy Cooper
IrishPhoenix
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Kace » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:10 pm

Not a chance - these changes were never a runner anyway
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT