Smoke

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Smoke

Postby zacob » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:10 pm

I noticed for a while now that there seems to be a lot of white smoke coming out the back of the exhaust on my FTO even after a long journey. I service the car recently replacing engine and gearbix oil but didn't seem to make any difference. Also tried these so called petrol additives available in any motor factors, but still didn't solve problem. As I said it's only white smoke but is there any way to reduce these emmissions.

Cheers
zacob
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:12 pm

I had no smoke when I ran with the standard exhaust and cat on but since I've changed to a performance exhaust and De-Cat there has been a noticeable increase - however the cold weather doesn't help much - I'd say its more steam than smoke really. And it does go away after the car warms up.

I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH if the smoke/steam stays white and doesn't go dark.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:30 pm

Whats your mpg like? Maybe its running a little rich, i.e. getting a bit more petrol that it should be?

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:09 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote: I'd say its more steam than smoke really. And it does go away after the car warms up.

I would tend to agree here, its gonna be more noticable during the winter as well. I also found it a bit more smokey when I stuck in the aftermarket exhaust and decat.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zacob » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:34 am

It seems to be running pretty high on petrol I think. Roughly about 10 euro for about 100Km. Is this normal.
zacob
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:00 am

Zacob wrote
Roughly about 10 euro for about 100Km. Is this normal.

Sounds about right to me!

Kevinod wrote
Whats your mpg like? Maybe its running a little rich, i.e. getting a bit more petrol that it should be?

I'm inclined to disagree. A rich fuel mixture would tend to give darker smoke. In addition to this you would also tend to get a build up of black desposits on the exhaust.

I too have noticed that the car sometimes 'smokes' for a while after parking up, I don't think this is anything to worry about Zacob.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby AL » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:21 pm

an easy way to check this is....................... run it, and put white towel paper on ground under exhaust, the exhaust will expel a little water too, therefore.......check how discoloured the tissue is after a while and weither its water, oil, or a mix, very slight discolouring is ok, as this may be due to existing trace deposites lying inside exhaust mixing with water,

if in doubt, let engine warm up................ get someone to rev it a little and hold another bit of white tissue over exhaust, tissue should be clear, then........... sniff tissue too to see if its condensate or smoke.
Warning: dont sniff too much :shock:

AL
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Return to FTO Technical