Clacking noise. Have the tappets gone?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Clacking noise. Have the tappets gone?

Postby andyahp » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi guys, I had a 95 GPX which was running without missing a beat. I sold it to someone and then it started making a clicking noise which then got worst very quickly and turned into a loud clacking noise. It doesn't go away after the engine is warm and it clacks faster as the engine is revved harder. What could this be? Its literally come on out of the blue. A mechanic mentioned something about the small end bearing?

Cheers,

Andy
andyahp
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Clacking noise. Have the tappets gone?

Postby goz_83 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:31 pm

Unless you sold it to someone you know, i would say let the new owner get it checked out. You sold it in good order, so your conscience is clean. Would be different if you knew there was a problem. It might still be the tappets. Is the oil topped up? Is it the right oil? If a thicker oil quitens it down, it points to tappets, which can be adjusted in the gpx.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:42 am

Seems the noise came all of a sudden and it doesn't quieten down when warmed, i think its not the tappets. If it was there would be gradual wearing and you would have noticed it.
Who know what the person did to the car after he took it off you.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Kace » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 am

How long between the time you sold it to him and now when he's coming back to you?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm

If its a knocking sound (as in loud bangs) then it could be the engine mounts which would be new engine time I have heard.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby andyahp » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:45 pm

I sold it to him about 6 months ago and it ran perfect with no noises or anything. He is purely asking my advice, car was sold as seen and he knows that fully. I'd have said the tappets but can they go from fine to that bad in six months? He said he's changed the oil but says he has used the recommended oil
andyahp
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 pm

6 months is a long time, but as long as its just advice it's grand. I'd say that's long enough for tappet trouble if if was over a period of time, but as stewy said, if it just started bangin one day, its something else. My next suspicion would be drawn to the pulleys. When was the timing belt last done?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby the real technikhaus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 am

Little bit of a thread bump...

Interested if you (or the owner) figured it out? If not, try getting ya head in the engine bay while its running and locate where the sound is coming from.
the real technikhaus
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby oakleaf » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:44 am

Hi

It is 'possible' to be a tappet screw that has lost it's little stainless end but that is very loud as the tappet gap gets very large when it drops that end.

It could also be the A/C Pulley on the A/C Compressor as mine started with a high pitched tick tick tick like a woodpecker on acid.
I gave it a little spray of WD and it stopped

Mike Oakes
oakleaf
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical