Finally back in a V6

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Finally back in a V6

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:28 pm

After 2 years of procrastination I bit the bullet.

Went up to the shmoke today and collected a rather nice Jaguar S Type

It's a 3.0 manual, spec is pretty good, it has auto lights, electric black leather seats, sunroof, dual climate, upgraded 17 inch alloys, and a CD changer.

It needs a good clean inside and out, there are a few scuffs and that, but I think it will clean up really well.

It's a 1 owner car, seems to drive well, I got 27 mpg on the journey back to the wesht, which is about what I'd expected.

I've since found out that one of the rear doors is stuck closed, never checked it, I reckon it's do do with the double locking, probably a good bit of hassle to get it sorted,

Apart from that, I'm dead chuffed, will post up pics tomorrow once I've given it a scrub.
colm_mcm

Re: Finally back in a V6

Postby Uncle B » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:37 pm

It's this one right?
Savage value really, the perfect permanent job car.
Well wear chief.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby colm_mcm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:48 pm

That's the one! If you buy your car by the square yard, it's stonking value!
colm_mcm

Postby Sebastian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:10 am

nice big barge , drives almost as confy as the E Class . great buy

Edit : one of your tail lights bulbs is gone
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:40 am

Yeah, my mother in law-elect pointed it out to me too. There's 4 of them, 3 are working.
colm_mcm

Postby Kace » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:37 am

Christ I just saw the price !!! How come it's so cheap - presume it's because it's a 3.0l and obviously getting on in years.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:50 am

with tax costing more, its no wonder. beautiful car though. i would have to get the door sorted tho.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 am

Yeah, will have to. will mess around with it tomorrow and see. the inside lock is stuck in the locked position. have a few theories.
colm_mcm

Postby StewyD32 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:30 am

F*cking hell thats dirt cheap.
Bargain :smt023

There are some deals out there. My friend just picked up a limited edition 92 MR2 in exchange for a phone today.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby jayod12b » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:56 am

Congrats on the buy , same car for sale here in Oz just a little bit more expensive http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11990492
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:45 pm

jayod12b wrote:Congrats on the buy , same car for sale here in Oz just a little bit more expensive http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/?R=11990492

Thats gotta be a typo
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:12 pm

First bunch of pics of the exterior from this morning, just so as you can see what it looked like when I got it

colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:34 pm

A little bit of tlc and it will be a sweet ride. I was thinking of getting the 2litre x type for the wife a while back, but she paid that house hold charge yesterday, so she will be lucky if i buy her a cheese burger now!
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Uncle had a diesel fwd x type, you'll pick up 2.5 model petrol models very cheap.

Is the household charge not €100?
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:03 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Is the household charge not €100?

It doesn't matter if it's €100, or €1. I'm completely against the tax and not just because it is more money out of my pocket. Especially with the lies in which the tax is presented. The reason I mentioned that I won't be buying a car for the wife, is because she took it upon herself to go and pay the tax even though I am so against it. That's a domestic matter though. Anyway, that's all I want to say on that matter. There are plenty of forums to discuss it.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Ah right, your post gave the impression that you'd blown the car budget on the household tax :D
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Indeed she has. That's now mivec money :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby gfalls » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 am

That's one hell of a lot of car, for very little money... I like it..!! :smt003
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:45 am

Lovely car for the money. Have often thought about going down a similar route - luxury bangernomics is def the way to go for petrolheads these days.

If I could knock another grand of this I'd be seriously tempted - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3061556
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

There are three ways you can do this.

1) show up to view the car and look very, very excited as you look at the exterior and talk about how you've been dreaming of having one of these for years. And as you talk about driving along the motorway with the windows down, shifting the gears, you open the door and shock/horror is displayed on your face. Having previously rubbed onion on your eyes, the water works should be quite easy to pull off as you say "oh no, it's an automatic". Works a treat! Worked for me when buying the 318 a few years back, although there was no need for crying.

2) Stick a few bananas up the exhaust. Car don't start, you tow away.

3) smash all the windows a few hours before viewing. It will then be easy to knock a grand off, but the drive home might be a little drafty. Oh and replacing the windows might cost about a grand. So maybe don't do this :)

On a serious note. That is a beautiful car and even you could get 500 off, it would be a sweet price.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:32 pm

There nice cars colm, I came very close to buying one of these about a year ago, only thing that stopped me was all the negative comments female friends gave me about looking like a d**k in daddys car.
3 months later one of the lads bought one and all of them changed their mind and decided I should have bought it, women!

Just on the subject of bangernomics, there is a very good thread under that name on boards.ie. Great for ideas for a cheap luxury car.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:32 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Lovely car for the money. Have often thought about going down a similar route - luxury bangernomics is def the way to go for petrolheads these days.

If I could knock another grand of this I'd be seriously tempted - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3061556

A V8 XJ is on my to do list as well.

@Colm That's a tidy looking motor, the interior looks very clean.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Interior is as new apart from wear on the drivers side seat bolster.
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:38 pm

Going slightly OT but while I wholeheartedly agree with you Goz, would you prefer to pay a massive fine instead...?

Motor tax is going up, again, and we have to bend over, again. There is nothing we can do to beat this a$$hole of a government.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 am

optical illusion wrote:There is nothing we can do to beat this a$$hole of a government.

There is nothing that has worked yet to get the government to take a good look at the real situation. Stand offs are becoming more frequent and it's becoming harder to pass these austerity measures, so eventually, something will give and there won't be any surprise if it's the household charge. I bet the government will introduce a sweetener if less than 40% are registered by paddies day. The real test is after the deadline. I only wish I was still part of the "no" group, in fiscal terms. I hope they put the referendum off until September, because that will generate a more comprehensive image of how Ireland is viewing Europe and the German manufactured rules, which are being forced down our throats. I always try to find the positive and make a joke about any situation, but I am finding it hard to see any positives in this situation.

I still say some fto revvin outside Leinster House will be cool :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Other Cars