E46 320D SE

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

E46 320D SE

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Hey lads!

I'm having a spot of bother with the BMW and if anyone can help I'd be every so greatful!!

I stripped the intake and removed all the injectors to have them tested due to rough idling and hard starting.

I was surprised to see they all came back without fault along with a new set of washers, bleedback pipes and vacuum pipes too.

So the symptoms were:

Rough start, rough idle, very slight hesitation during power the very odd time but generally in PWO.

So the symptoms are: (after stripping and rebuilding the intake including cleaning the EGR, new turbo vacuum pipes, fresh oil and filter, fuel filter and that's about it)

NO turbo power at all when there should be and the car shudders when accelerating through the turbo range (like it's over-fueling). When it starts, smoke comes from the turbo area however the turbo was looked at and there's no play in the shaft, no oil leak and no bearing noise when turning and it turns freely.

I am completely stumped with this problem!
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: E46 320D SE

Postby CJ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 am

I'd consider this a club car of sorts as I owned it previously and Topcat had it before me. It seems like you've covered a lot of ground so far and I probably can't add any more value in the circumstances. Have you hooked it up to a diagnostic device at any stage, if so, did anything interesting come back? If it were me, I'd bring the car to Joe Power or the like to see if they work out whats wrong, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to keep going! Out of interest, was the EGR valve caked up? I cleaned it previously and it wasn't too bad, I also changed the turbo breather which was filthy, the replacement unit is supposed to last longer than the OEM unit.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: E46 320D SE

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm

EGR was manky both times I cleaned it. I MAY have damaged it this time which would be the cause. First time I used a very small wire brush and some patience but last time I used carb cleaner...I've read it can damage the valve inside the EGR.

Nothing on diagnostics unfortunately but I do have another mate going to look at it now so may be he can sort something out. I'm pretty sure at this stage that it's a blockage either in a vacuum line or down near/in the turbo.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Return to Other Cars