Toyota Celica '99 to Present shape model

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Toyota Celica '99 to Present shape model

Postby Mustang » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:44 pm

Theres been a few threads on here about the celica but I believe they all related to the older shape cars. None of which I like, even in the slightest.
Anyone ever driven the current shape car, any thoughts, experiences?
I think the rear (boxy) styling is a bit awkward but in general a fairly sleek looking car. The T sport with 190bhp and 6 speed box sounds interesting...
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Toyota Celica '99 to Present shape model

Postby CJ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:20 pm

Mustang wrote:Anyone ever driven the current shape car, any thoughts, experiences?

I've never driven the 99+ varient so my view is not all-encompassing but I just don't like the look of them at all. If I had to choose, I'd pick the old style GT four over the new model any day.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:21 pm

Light – good handling car – 140BHP 4 pot in 99% of the Irish models is way too underpowered IMO. 190BHP T Sport the only way to go but they’re expensive. Some nice kits avail to brighten up the fairly soft looks. A 10K Manual GPX or GPvR makes a mockery of even the T Sport though.

If you’re spending 40K+ on a new sports car – the RX8 or Alfa GT make a lot more sense to me.

If you have 14K to spend on a 00/01 sports coupe – buy a late model manual GPX or a Racing Puma – both have more character, are better looking and have better performance than the Celica.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:38 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Alfa GT

Now you're talking.... but with looks like those you'd really have to go for the V6....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:42 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:If you have 14K to spend

To be honest, for this money I don't think you'll find a better allround sports coupe than the FTO. The only other car I'd really consider would be an alfa GTV. Sure there's a few jap cars that might give the FTO a run for it's money in terms of speed and maybe even handling but most of those come with a pretty dodgy image.... (only IMHO and NOI to anyone).
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:11 pm

Celica - who cares :roll: why would anyone want one ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:35 am

MfFTO wrote
A 10K Manual GPX or GPvR makes a mockery of even the T Sport though.

I've never driven a celica, and I've only ever driven a manual GPX's briefly. However I'd have to disagree with this statement.
Looking at the figures....
For the celica T sport (taken from toyota Ireland site)
Power: 192bhp
Kerb weight 1140kg
Yields a power to weight ratio of 192/1.14=168.4bhp/tonne
Torque 180Nm.

Figures for the Manual GPX as follows:
Power 197bhp
Kerb weight 1170kg
Yields a power to weight ratio of 197/1.17=164.1bhp/tonne
Torque 200Nm.

These two cars have almost identical power to weight ratios. The FTO has a higher torque figure -as you'd expect from a larger displacement engine with an extra pair of cylinders, but the celica with its close ratio six speed box should be better able to exploit its engines output.
As far as I can see these are two very closely matched cars in performance terms and I can't see how the FTO would make a mockery of the celica :?:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:52 am

Mustang wrote:I can't see how the FTO would make a mockery of the celica :?:

As per usual, the GPX would win out at the top end due to the extra 15 Ilbs/ft of torque, other than that, they'd be closely matched on the road up to a point.

The FTO certainly makes a mockery of the Celica in the looks category, I reckon the newer shape looks way to boxy and lacks definition, I was parked up next to one the other day and it paled into insignificance when lined up next to the FTO.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:06 am

Mustang wrote:MfFTO wrote
A 10K Manual GPX or GPvR makes a mockery of even the T Sport though.

......As far as I can see these are two very closely matched cars in performance terms and I can't see how the FTO would make a mockery of the celica :?:

Sorry Mustang - You misunderstand me - I'm sure they are very close in performance terms - my point related to why anyone would pay considerably more for a T sport than a Manual GPX or GPvR.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:29 am

Sorry Mustang - You misunderstand me - I'm sure they are very close in performance terms - my point related to why anyone would pay considerably more for a T sport than a Manual GPX or GPvR.

Ok understood. But I think the answer is obvious -insurance. Also lower tax, and running costs (I'd imagine!). The availability of parts and service outlets. And last but not least Irelands love affair with toyota.
Toyota make very good cars, however they are in general dull as ditch water -and their styling is always a bit of a non-event but Irish people (in general) just can't get enough of them.
Current list price for the T sport is €44400 a bit steep IMO, especially for a car that's been around for 6 years now....
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:17 pm

CJ wrote: I reckon the newer shape looks way to boxy and lacks definition,

the new one kinda reminds me of the gallardo from certain angles.... I wonder do I need new glasses....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:24 pm

Shane wrote
the new one kinda reminds me of the gallardo from certain angles.... I wonder do I need new glasses....

I guess I can kind of see where you are coming from. The shape of the headlights is similar alright, but I think the similarities end there.
That said if you can make a F355 out of an MR2, why not a gallardo from a celica :?: :idea:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Jon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 pm

Since i sold of my FTO :cry: i got a 00 celica VVTL-I 190HP. Its a tip the same as the FTO but its got the gear change on the steering wheel which is pretty cool. I got it for E17000 which is pretty cheap considering i got it from a garage just imported with SAT/NAV and TV and only 32000 miles.

As regards power, the FTO GPX is about the same until you get above 6000 revs when the "lift" kicks in then it starts to pull away but its still limited to 110. The car i was racing, i mean driving along side :lol: was a GPX tip so i would say the manual GPX would get the better of the celica Tip but i think it would be very close if both were manual.

The handling in the celica isnt as good as the FTO but the ride is a bit more comfortable. Also its only a 1.8 so the insurance and tax are less that GPX and your getting a little more power.

I always liked the look of the Generation 7 celicas but it definitly dosent turn as many heads as the FTO.

Jon
I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy it!
Jon
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Mustang » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:08 am

Jon wrote
Since i sold of my FTO i got a 00 celica VVTL-I 190HP. Its a tip the same as the FTO but its got the gear change on the steering wheel which is pretty cool. I got it for E17000 which is pretty cheap considering i got it from a garage just imported with SAT/NAV and TV and only 32000 miles.

Jon how long do you have the car? Did you buy it from one of those jap import garages in Dublin?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Jon » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:35 pm

I have it about 3 months. I got it from Autocity in Dublin, i think its near the long mile road, but not to sure i wouldnt know Dublin all that well.

Jon
I don't suffer from insanity,
I enjoy it!
Jon
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to Japanese Performance